Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason for this is I got some great looking bags from a member and they rub the bags and keep them from sitting flush with the body. If I'm able to straighten them and use my slash mufflers then there will be no problem.

So is it easier to just get rid of the h box and run straight pipes to my mufflers or to weld in a bent 30 degree elbow to allow a straight line. And not weld I mean weld up a pipe to connect the two.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My old CX 650 trike ran with-out the collector box ("H" box), i lenghtened the down pipes so the exhaust finished at the rear axle (looked better) really made it throb with out the collector fitted, sounded real nice.

it felt like it had a bit more torque low down as well, could of just been me but the sound was awesome.

My brother-in-law has the 500 custom and has done away with the collector (rusted away!) and fitted a pair of shorty mufflers, sounds really nice as well and didnt up jet as it checked out ok on a plug chop.

Odie

(uk)

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
With tools anything is possible. If the hbox is solid you and you have a welder you might be able to cut a bit off the underside or top side of the hbox on the out end and bend the pipes downward. Then weld them back up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With tools anything is possible. If the hbox is solid you and you have a welder you might be able to cut a bit off the underside or top side of the hbox on the out end and bend the pipes downward. Then weld them back up.

I do have a welder, i think i'll take that bastard off and check it out. I want to leave the exhaust box on for design reasons but if it too much of a pain i may just ditch it so i can run the pipes. On a side note......... i'm beginning to notice how small the bike frame is lol. Its a perfect bike.......until you go to mod it.... takes quite a bit of thinking to be able to do something with it being not in the way or whatever. And i'm also jacked up on coffee and NOS energy. I had coffee before i went to school and on the way i got gas and saw 2/2$ for the 22oz bottles. I've never seen them that cheap and i like the taste. Now i'm all jittery and can't wait to go to the unheated garage and go ape s*** on something!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I do have a welder, i think i'll take that bastard off and check it out. I want to leave the exhaust box on for design reasons but if it too much of a pain i may just ditch it so i can run the pipes. On a side note......... i'm beginning to notice how small the bike frame is lol. Its a perfect bike.......until you go to mod it.... takes quite a bit of thinking to be able to do something with it being not in the way or whatever. And i'm also jacked up on coffee and NOS energy. I had coffee before i went to school and on the way i got gas and saw 2/2$ for the 22oz bottles. I've never seen them that cheap and i like the taste. Now i'm all jittery and can't wait to go to the unheated garage and go ape s*** on something!

Wow. Um, my driveway still needs to be shoveled? lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Um, my driveway still needs to be shoveled? lol

It wore off, i ralphed, slept for 2 hours the entire night and called into work lol.

I also ran into a roadblock. My KC Crash bar has a skid plate, or probably more like re-enforcement bars under the engine. Some twat used standard bolts and i only had the honda tool kit with me. I stopped once i couldn't get the possible 13mm/ 1/2" bolts out. It does appear i can cut the end off and with some skill straighten it out. Not sure why all honda bikes am the mufflers up just a tad.

After this naturally i'll have to fit new exhaust brackets but thats not a big deal. After this depending on where the bags hang i'll probably have to relocate the signals.... which again i have a welder so some tubing and tacking and i should be in business.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something else that stopped me is that the house we are renting and possibly buying eventually has a lot of old 2 prong wiring. Some rooms have 3 and I've noticed they aren't grounded. I found one that is only because there is no cover...

Anyway, the plugs in the garage are 3 prong but I'm unsure if they are even grounded, I'm a little fearful I'll pull the trigger and send some current through me. I have a lincoln mig hd. Its like 14volt? At 30-100amps. I don't want to plug it in ungrounded unless its still safe to use

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Something else that stopped me is that the house we are renting and possibly buying eventually has a lot of old 2 prong wiring. Some rooms have 3 and I've noticed they aren't grounded. I found one that is only because there is no cover...

Anyway, the plugs in the garage are 3 prong but I'm unsure if they are even grounded, I'm a little fearful I'll pull the trigger and send some current through me. I have a lincoln mig hd. Its like 14volt? At 30-100amps. I don't want to plug it in ungrounded unless its still safe to use

At ACE hardware store (or any for that matter) you can buy an inexpensive plug-in diagnostic tool that will quickly tell you if you have no ground. Around $8.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts