Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, you know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention. I guess that means the father is different every time and that means a lot of bastards.....

Reg:
I remember reading your post about that a long time ago. I also didn't have much confidence in using nylons, especially in the extreme conditions I use Eccles in so I continued using paper filters.

The first time I changed the air filter on my GoldWing I nearly fell over when it came to nearly $50 with the tax. The next time I found a car filter for about $15 that would work. It was the right height but round instead of oval but I could squeeze it into shape and put a top salvaged from an original filter on it. I used them for a long time but never found a car filter that would work in the twisted twins. A few years ago I came across a Uni foam filter for the 'Wing on eBay for not all that much more than the car filter so I bought one and I liked it. I couldn't get myself to spend more for one for Eccles than I did for the bigger one for the 'Wing, which lead to this thread and then to the RamAir eBay store.

Purple:
How old was the foam that had turned to goo? I don't expect a foam filter to last forever, but it should last a lot longer than a paper one. If I have to replace it after 10 years that's not a big deal.

And even if I did replace the foam every year instead of washing it out & re-oiling it would still cost less than even the Emgo filter, not to mention the Honda one....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Had a thought when I read this.
Seems that if the air cleaner had cleaner air to breath, filters would last longer.
Maybe something like a ram-air snorkel?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Bob
I suppose it depends of the actual material used but it must be a good 5 years since I was banned
from the local ladies underwear departments and went to using foam
but mine show no signs of degradation.

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The NU-2440 filter you linked to does not fit my bike. It does say it fits the CX650C and CX650T (which take completely different filters, both different from the GL650 or CX650E). And by the time the shipping and import charges are added in and the price converted to Canadian $ it would cost $41.14 CAD, which is not a cheap alternative.

Uni does make a filter to fit the GL650 (which means it would also fit the CX650E), their number NU-4082. As I mentioned in post #8 of this thread (5 years ago)
I have looked at the K&N and Uni filters. I found a really good deal on a Uni for the 'Wing and it seems to work well so that would be the easiest solution. But a Uni for the 650 would cost about $35 with shipping and a K&N over $50 so I would like to find something cheaper.
The cheapest UNI NU-4082 on eBay today is this one. It would cost me $31.68 CAD (the next cheapest would be about $37)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232335336835

They also make one for the GL500, UNI NU-4034. The cheapest one on eBay today would cost me $27.59 D (next cheapest about $32)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232335336835

I am currently replacing my engine, carbs and airbox with ones from a GL500 (long story). I was able to cut 7/8" off of the housing and foam and continue using my converted filter. If I had bought a Uni in 2013 I would have had to buy a new filter now.

BTW: Here is a current link to the sheet of filter material I used. It would cost me $17.93 CAD today.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/271616636112

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but my uni disinigrated over the last few years. I hadn't checked it for about 2 or 3 years. And the inside was caked with "soot". There was a 1-1/2" hole in the inside foam and when I started trying to clean it, it started falling apart.

The dirt was all on the inside. The outside is relatively intact. I think we'll be moving towards this ramair pad.

Do you have a pic of the screw end??

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I fixed the kink in post #25 (I guess the new forum software has messed up links to specific posts).

Here are the pics in case it does that again but you'll have to look at the other post for the explanation

21 - 30 of 30 Posts