Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the extreme conditions Eccles operates in I need to replace the air filter every year.

Being the cheapo that I am I want to find a cheaper alternative.

Being smart enough to not want to re-invent the wheel I figured that if anyone had already done that someone here would know about it and at any rate I might get some good suggestions.

I do remember pics of a gutted filter with a nylon stocking stretched over it many years ago (posted by Shep or Reg maybe?) but I don't think that would keep out the sort of stuff I need to keep out. Eccles runs on a combination of dirt roads and paved ones that have been treated with grit & sand to reduce the need for salt when it snows.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Remember, these filters are set up to have the air flow from the inside to the outside.

Anything stretched over the outside will only impact the stuff that got thru the filter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When ever I get another engine for mine and get it up and running, I'm planning on finding a cheap and readily available filter that can be had at any auto parts store and fabbing my own airbox around that. While I don't yet know which filter I'm going to used, I would like to keep the current airbox/battery area empty to clean up the looks of the bike. I'm imagining a cylindrical filter that would flow from the outside in as opposed to the stock configuration.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Bob, while I'm not adverse to finding creative alternatives, it seems to me that a more cost effective (in the long run) way to face your situation would be to use the K&N reusable filter system. Clean and re-oil it regularly and it would really never need to be replaced. The full kit will last years before you need to get more cleaner/oil. Yes, the up front cost is more than a regular filter, but the long term cost would really be less, as I see it.

Just my 2 bits.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
24,185 Posts
bob

given the 650s issue with premature oil control ring failure i have to agree with ramprat find or re fit a k&n

and by the way to bigblockyeti make sure you do plenty of reading on the cv carb issues before you decide to redo your air box honda knew what they were dong and NEEDING

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Control ring failure? What's that and how does the air intake effect it?

I don't want to redesign the airbox or anything else that could upset the carbs or I would look for ways to put a pod filter or 2 inside the existing box (exposed pods would just be asking to get clogged with dirt).

I f I am correct, "pre filters" are supposed to keep the bike's original filter clean longer. They seem to be mostly sleeves designed to go on the outside of a filter and since these machines draw air from the inside of the filter to the outside that wouldn't do much good. Unless there is one that would fit inside the original filter....

There are a number of sleeve type foam filters (not pre-filters) on eBay made for various makes & models. I briefly contemplated stripping the pleated paper out an old filter and using something like that over the metal frame but anything on the outside of the filter could be sucked away from the frame in operation not to mention that it would make inserting the filter into the airbox pretty difficult.

I have looked at the K&N and Uni filters. I found a really good deal on a Uni for the 'Wing and it seems to work well so that would be the easiest solution. But a Uni for the 650 would cost about $35 with shipping and a K&N over $50 so I would like to find something cheaper.

I was thinking more like disassembling an original filter (IIRC, a bit of heat should make the glue release from the metal) and finding some foam filter media that I could put in where the pleated paper was (maybe I might need screws to hold it together again?) This looks promising 2X Ramair AIR Filter Foam Material Large Scooter Motorcycle Quad ATV Jetski Boat | eBay but one sheet would be more than enough. This one Ramair AIR Filter Foam Large Vacuum Cleaner Hoover | eBay looks like the same material and only 1 sheet. I have asked the seller of it will work when rolled into a 90mm O.D. cylinder and whether it needs to be oiled.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Maybe you could try one of those pod sleeves inside the stock filter?
There are many styles and you should be able to find one that will fit.

This link might help you find something;
https://www.denniskirk.com/outlet/snowmobile

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No filters in Kirk's outlet store and nothing in the main store that I can't get locally for less or on eBay for even less.

RamAir says their foam should work.

I have to go out this morning but when I get home I will try taking apart an old original filter. If that works and unless someone posts a better idea here I will order the RamAir.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, heat released the glue on the old filter and I got the open end off with the closed end still attached. NOTE: If you try this have a bucket of water handy. I had one to cool the metal so I could handle it but was glad it was there when the paper caught fire.

The filter is 200mm x 300mm x 15mm. The recess in the end cap is just over 15mm - perfect. The outside circumference is 295mm so 300mm rolled up should keep the ends pressed firmly together. I will only have to cut it to 150mm. The price came to about $11.50 Cdn (incl. shipping) - less than a Honda filter bought at the dealer. So I ordered it. I figure if it works I'm ahead if I only get one use out of it.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The RamAir filter came.

I was wrong about the size I would need to cut. The 300mm long foam would not fit inside the metal filter housing so I had to cut it to 250mm which fits nicely. I cut the width to 150mm for the 650 (if you have a 500 you will need to cut it a bit narrower). I am not happy with the seal where the ends butt together. It seems OK but I don't want to take a chance on a gap forming in operation and I don't want to glue the ends together because a flat sheet will be easier to wash. I think I will insert a strip of sheet metal to overlap both ends and cover any gap.

Notes:
The filter has 2 layers. RamAir says that the finer (grey) layer should face the engine and the coarser (black) layer should face the air so I rolled mine with the black inside and the grey against the metal housing.

RamAir says that the filter doesn't need to be oiled the first time but should be oiled after it has been washed. I think I will add a little oil anyway because of the extreme conditions.

BTW: In my previous post I meant to say that the foam cost less than an Emgo filter from the dealer. A Honda filter would cost much more.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I added a small amount of oil and "massaged" it into the filter so that it is just slightly tacky, then left it overnight for the oil to spread before putting the new filter together. I had some material similar to shim stock and about an inch wide so I used a piece of that to cover the overlap. I punched 2 holes in the side of the loose end cap suitable for a couple of small self tapping screws and installed the cap with the tips of the screws in a couple of the original holes in the filter housing. To replace the gasket I used a couple of runs of 3/8" x 3/8" black foam weatherstrip with the end joints on opposite sides to prevent a leak.

I ran the bike with the old filter for a week to get used to how it feels before changing over and I didn't notice any difference. When the bike became hard to start a while later I changed back to eliminate the filter as cause but again it made no difference (the problem turned out to be fouled plugs). After it was running right again I changed back to the foam filter and again I could feel no difference.

I will know for sure if this is an acceptable alternative by spring but it looks good so far.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More likely they fouled because they were last year's plugs. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened with this bike.....

But if it was because of the filter I will know in a week or 2.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
As I said before to each their own,

There is 1 type of of filter material I don't use except for Briggs & Straiten

O K maybe 2 ,the air-box is a hostile atmosphere for foam crankcase dumps in there so

moisture hydrocarbons dissolved metal and alcohol fumes all mixing and chemically reacting.

Last 2 bikes I got had goo of dissolved foam.

I know foam is better than it used to be but if/when you store your bike take out the foam filter.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
About 10,000 Km since I installed the foam filter and it is still working perfectly.
Late now, but I burned out the old filters then wire brushed and painted the housings
and initially used twice folded tights as an element following a tip from an ex courier.
Wasnt really that happy or confident in that, so went to making my own inserts with
air filter foam sheet ages ago and have no complaints.

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Hanging on the wall in my shed is an airbox snorkel/lid. Hanging from its underside, and secured with duct tape, is a white cotton glove.

I kid you not. It was in with a job lot of bikes and parts I bought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts