Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy has been trying to sell this bike for a while now. If I had the 500 bucks, I'd probably snag it...but I don't. But looking at this picture here I notice that the engine looks quite a bit different than mine on the rear. It looks like a different cam chain assembly which means....under recall?! If that's the case, then getting 500 bucks to buy it would be a great idea, because whoever did it would get an engine rebuilt by Honda for free. I know that by posting it here I'm diminishing my chances at buying it, but meh, I really won't have 500 bucks to blow for a good little while.

Edit: Wow, I really noobed up. Yeah, that's the front of the engine I was looking at. Derp. I thought that the clutch assembly was the flywheel, and then just went with it. I couldn't tell the difference with the blur.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This guy has been trying to sell this bike for a while now. If I had the 500 bucks, I'd probably snag it...but I don't. But looking at this picture here I notice that the engine looks quite a bit different than mine on the rear. It looks like a different cam chain assembly which means....pre recall?! If that's the case, then getting 500 bucks to buy it would be a great idea, because whoever did it would get an engine rebuilt by Honda for free. I know that by posting it here I'm diminishing my chances at buying it, but meh, I really won't have 500 bucks to blow for a good little while.

Ummm, that picture shows the front of the engine. You are looking at the clutch and the chain driven oil pump.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
This guy has been trying to sell this bike for a while now. If I had the 500 bucks, I'd probably snag it...but I don't. But looking at this picture here I notice that the engine looks quite a bit different than mine on the rear. It looks like a different cam chain assembly which means....pre recall?! If that's the case, then getting 500 bucks to buy it would be a great idea, because whoever did it would get an engine rebuilt by Honda for free. I know that by posting it here I'm diminishing my chances at buying it, but meh, I really won't have 500 bucks to blow for a good little while.
mm,there is no such thing as pre-recall.recall was done on the models that came off the production line first.drag them back,do the work,on you went
1978 was the year

·
Registered
190 Posts
I looked at the pics, the ad description/wording and the surroundings. Much deep thought.

I think PARTS. $500 is a lot for parts.... a least around here. I'll bet there is a lot missing. I think the engine has had a Budweiser fueled overhaul.

I'd have terrible "Buyer's Remorse" at $500. $200 or MAYBE a bit more..... not so bad.

Hoppy

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I looked at the pics, the ad description/wording and the surroundings. Much deep thought.

I think PARTS. $500 is a lot for parts.... a least around here. I'll bet there is a lot missing. I think the engine has had a Budweiser fueled overhaul.

I'd have terrible "Buyer's Remorse" at $500. $200 or MAYBE a bit more..... not so bad.

Hoppy

agree 100%

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This guy has been trying to sell this bike for a while now. If I had the 500 bucks, I'd probably snag it...but I don't. But looking at this picture here I notice that the engine looks quite a bit different than mine on the rear. It looks like a different cam chain assembly which means....pre recall?! If that's the case, then getting 500 bucks to buy it would be a great idea, because whoever

did it would get an engine rebuilt by Honda for free. I know that by posting it here I'm diminishing my chances at buying it, but meh, I really won't have 500 bucks to blow for a good little while.

I don't think Honda would do the recall work for you today

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I'm an idiot. You're right, that is the front. I mistook the clutch for the flywheel, and with how blurry the picture was, I went with it. Derp.

Also, sorry for the wording
. I meant "under recall." Editing it now.

Yeah, 500 bucks is a little steep, but I could probably work him down more. He's been trying to sell this for months now, he started at 1500 about three months ago. If the engine is 100% complete, and if he really did replace everything like he said, then it may be worth it. Maybe.

Phil, there was a member on here that had the work done just a few weeks or months ago. Alabama guy or something. The recall is still in effect, but some of the shops might give you a hard time to get it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.