Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good:

I was surprised to find that I was able to touch the ground, and wouldn't need to lower the bike at all.

The motor runs great, it has a bunch of new mechanical parts including brakes.

The seat was in amazing condition.

The Bad:

Everything else

Evidently he has a really odd sense of what "good condition" is.

Those "marks" he said were on the handlebars from the drag bars? Yeah, those would be big, deep dents. I was expecting a small ding, straches and scuffs. I would probably want to buy a new tank rather than trying to repair or bondo that one.

The bike was missing the turn signals and the rear view mirrors

The rear tire which "would need to be replaced soon" was completely bald, completely. Not one millimeter of tread left on it.

The drag bars were some sort of backyard seriously poor welding job. The welds looked horrible and were rusting.

It needs a new battery

The bike had obviously been dropped at least twice, once on either side.

The fenders had dents in them, and there were places where wires were obviously were supposed to go, which were missing, which makes me nervous.

I was expecting (and wanted) a project, but not really that much of a project for the money he wanted to get out of it. He has a few more people going to look at it today he said, so he really didn't want to discuss lowering the price. Hopefully no one has to drive more than the hour it took me to get there, or they're going to be pretty upset with the condition of the bike based on his description.

I might call him back on Monday and make him an offer, if he still has it, which is more in line with the work the bike needs. I guess if someone was willing to ride it as is, all stove up and beat to hell, then maybe they'd be willing to pay the $700, but I'm just not.

As much as I was pissed about the lack of honesty about the condition of the bike, I still want it, as crazy as that might sound. For the right price anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Some sellers value crap at big money. The worst part is when you drive a long distance to see a bike that looks like it was owned my a rodeo clown.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The good:

I was surprised to find that I was able to touch the ground, and wouldn't need to lower the bike at all.

The Bad:

Everything else

Those "marks" he said were on the handlebars from the drag bars? Yeah, those would be big, deep dents. I was expecting a small ding, straches and scuffs. I would probably want to buy a new tank rather than trying to repair or bondo that one.

The rear tire which "would need to be replaced soon" was completely bald, completely. Not one millimeter of tread left on it.

The drag bars were some sort of backyard seriously poor welding job. The welds looked horrible and were rusting.

It needs a new battery

The fenders had dents in them, and there were places where wires were obviously were supposed to go, which were missing, which makes me nervous.

I was expecting (and wanted) a project, but not really that much of a project for the money he wanted to get out of it. He has a few more people going to look at it today he said, so he really didn't want to discuss lowering the price. Hopefully no one has to drive more than the hour it took me to get there, or they're going to be pretty upset with the condition of the bike based on his description.

I might call him back on Monday and make him an offer, if he still has it, which is more in line with the work the bike needs. I guess if someone was willing to ride it as is, all stove up and beat to hell, then maybe they'd be willing to pay the $700, but I'm just not.

As much as I was pissed about the lack of honesty about the condition of the bike, I still want it, as crazy as that might sound. For the right price anyway.
Was it better then this one???

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/8460-my-50-82-cx500-custom/

·
Registered
840 Posts
Depending on how bad things really are you could offer him a bit less and explain why. The stuff you're talking about shouldn't be too much trouble, although it may require a little time and money for the necessary parts before you want to ride it

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
"Those "marks" he said were on the handlebars from the drag bars? Yeah, those would be big, deep dents. I was expecting a small ding, straches and scuffs. I would probably want to buy a new tank rather than trying to repair or bondo that one. The bike was missing the turn signals and the rear view mirrors. The rear tire which "would need to be replaced soon" was completely bald, completely. Not one millimeter of tread left on it. The drag bars were some sort of backyard seriously poor welding job. The welds looked horrible and were rusting. It needs a new battery. The bike had obviously been dropped at least twice, once on either side. The fenders had dents in them, and there were places where wires were obviously were supposed to go, which were missing, which makes me nervous. "

This bike is giving all the signs of being a problem in waiting. Obviously the PO (previous owner) didn't treat it very well. It's one thing to buy an older bike on which you have to bring the maintenance up to par and make a few repairs, it's quite another to buy one that's been severely abused and not maintained. I would not expect the engine internals, wiring, brakes, forks or anything else to be in any better shape than the appearance. While it may well be restorable, it sounds to me like a lot of heartache to take on for an inexperienced rider/mechanic. Woman or man. Real decent 500s are around for $750, 650s for $1200, with low to medium mileage. In New England.

·
Registered
264 Posts
how about this,

the bad

or maybe more like this for the money

nice one

or if you like ornge and relly want to spend some money

custom

seems like the best way to price anything is to see what they are going for. but if you keep your eyes peeled you will eventally find a great deal on an old gl or cx. they are not real sought after for some crazy reason!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Walking away was probably the best thing, and the hardest thing, you can do when you have the "I wants". That demonstrates discernment and self-control, both of which are great character traits and will go along ways to making a safe rider.

Your bike is out there, just be patient. I don't know that I would want a bike like that for anything more than parts. Even then, I would need a place to store it, so it really would be an albatross.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The good:

The Bad:

Everything else

It needs a new battery

Like the others have said, Might be the right idea to pass on this one. I've seen better out there for $700 and not just occassionally. Understand the excitement and "want", tho. Mine popped up had to borrow cash (Thanks, bro!) but I couldn't let it pass for $400. PO took good care of it. Yours is out there right now with the owner scratching their head saying," Ya know....I haven't ridden this in years and it's taking up space in my garage/man cave. I should just push it to the curb and put a sign on it for $500" seriously, Listen close....you can here that being said.Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The good:

The Bad:

Everything else

It needs a new battery

IF YOU DON'T MIND A RIDE TO NJ I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HOOK YOU UP WITH A 1983 CX650C WITH 21000K ON IT FOR THE SAME PRICE.....

AS FOR THAT OVER-PRICED P.O.S., TAKE THE ADVICE YOU GOT HERE,,, IF THE PO DIDN'T CARE FOR THE OUTSIDE, HE DIDN'T CARE FOR THE INSIDE EITHER.....REMEMBER THIS AND REPEAT IT AS A MANTRA... "THEY MADE MORE THAN ONE"..

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
IF YOU DON'T MIND A RIDE TO NJ I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HOOK YOU UP WITH A 1983 CX650C WITH 21000K ON IT FOR THE SAME PRICE.....

AS FOR THAT OVER-PRICED P.O.S., TAKE THE ADVICE YOU GOT HERE,,, IF THE PO DIDN'T CARE FOR THE OUTSIDE, HE DIDN'T CARE FOR THE INSIDE EITHER.....REMEMBER THIS AND REPEAT IT AS A MANTRA... "THEY MADE MORE THAN ONE"..
No shouting, please.

R

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Forget about that bike,,it sounds like a $200.00 bike,,tops.

I have 4 CX's,,3 that are road worthy and 1 parts bike,,I paid $100.00 for 2 of them and $150.00 for 1. Ironically I paid more for the parts bike @$175.00 than any of the others,,.

1 needed a stator and a seat ,,1 needed a CDI and a couple of small things,,grips and Master Cylinder,,and the 1 pictured here($100.00) needed nothing but TLC. Actually they mostly needed tires too,,but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'll think about it for sure, thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm sure I'll find one sometime. I'm not really in any huge hurry. I have a dual sport I ride now, so it's not like I'm just sitting on the sidelines not riding at all.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Nope, that one is most definitely better than the one I looked at! I probably would have shed a tear at getting that kind of a deal.

As you may have gathered we don't like anyone getting gouged

Some lucky buggers have even been,"Given" good examples of these bikes

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just picked one up for $250. Its missing the left front turn signal, but the wiring works for everything. The master cylinder is SHOT, as it just leaks out added brake fluid. It was a non-runner until I added a battery ($40 + tax at WalMart) and fixed a couple of wires that had been disconnected around the battery. I also took the tank off and cleaned the petcock and fuel lines, and it started right up! Nice and smooth running. Too bad no front brake and splitting tires. Can't take on road til I get those addressed for sure. Not bad considering new bike requires 5 year loan with $180 dollar payments...and I like the higher seat style these ones have. Why'd they stop making them like that? Everything's a cruiser now.

The fork seals are gone too, so yeah, the less you can get it for the better, because you have to buy a lot of fix up parts.

MW

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey now shep my bike was free except maybe for ten minutes i had to take a steering cable off a boat.......and only took me 45 minutes to get it running after it sat for 10 + years but like others have said your bike is out there

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've bitten twice on project bikes, and both times it cost a lot more than I planned on. Lots of bikes are worth way more as parts bikes than as projects.

My recommendation would be to get the best one you can find. I probably overpaid $300-400 for mine, but it will be okay when I'm done.

Repeat after me: Low miles, well taken care of, cheap. Get all three or walk away. These are 30 year old bikes, and there are better options out there if you want to spend more money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts