Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 CX500C custom that has been in my garage for the last 6 years. The bike belonged to my landlord, and he finally decided he wasn't going to do anything with it. He know I love bikes and working on them , so called me up and told me I could have it. I spent last week digging it out of the corner it was buried in. The bike was in way better condition than I remembered it being in since burying it in that back corner.

A bit of background on this bike, several years ago this bike was given to my buddy (whom I now rent my house from). As far as I can tell, the bike is stock, and hasn't been modified. When he brought it home the exhaust was shot, and the engine was frozen (stuck rings on right cylinder). I helped him remove the exhaust, and rear wheel. We pulled the heads, and managed to get the engine free and spinning with the starter. Before I could find him he head gaskets, he and another friend decided they wanted to see if it would fire before putting any money into it. They put the heads back on with the old gaskets, and used form-a-gasket on both sides of the old gaskets (eeeek!!) They apparently got it to fire off and run.... After this, he had cash flow issues and didn't do anything with it. After that it sat for a couple years, then he rented me his house and left it in the garage...so it got stuffed into the back corner out of the way...and slowly buried over the years (6 yrs ago now since he originally got it). Over those 6 years he lost the title he had gotten with the bike.

Once I gt the bike unburied, and out where I could work on it, the fun began
, gave it a going over and there a a few bolts missing for various mountings, and the rear axle is missing. The key had been gutted and only accepts a screwdriver to turn it now. The bike powers up when i turn the key on, but seemed to be froze again. I removed the heads yesterday, and was able to get the pistons to move to the bottom of their stroke. I was not able to get the starter to turn the bike over, as I had no battery and a 6amp battery charger hooked up to the bike powering the electrical (not enough to turn the engine). I noticed after getting the heads off, that the right cylinder was missing its oil control valve out of the oil control orifice...and remembered finding that damned little thing when I helped him clean up around the bike year ago...but had no idea where it came out of.... I will have to find or make a new one to go into the cylinder. I saw no sign of an o-ring around them, though i have seen it in some pictures, and read about them in some posts....they are not listed on the Honda parts schematic with the control valves, did earlier models not have the o-ring?

Tonight, I have a good battery to hook up, and hopefully the engine spins freely. Then I can figure out whereto go from there...most likely sitting there with a plastic scraper and a shop-vac(to keep the crap from falling into the block) removing the form-a-gasket residue from the block and heads. If I can't get the battery to spin the engine, what are my options for freeing it up? Is there a bolt I can get a socket on to turn the engine, maybe try and work it back and fourth to free it up?

I'll try and get some pics posted.

Regards,

Will R. Everett,WA. USA

·
Registered
100 Posts
congrats on getting the bike. Be sure to keep us updated on any problems/concerns that you run into. This group can be lifesaver, as I know my bike wouldn't be running today without there help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was able to get the engine to spin when I got home from work tonight! I am very happy with that progress, now I can pick up head gaskets and see if I can find that oil control valve that goes into the head. After all that I will get the heads back on and move on to the next step in the fixin

Regards,

Will R

·
Registered
967 Posts
this forum is Awesome, as are the folks here...a really great bunch with a wealth of experience.

did you happen to get a title for it? Sometimes that can be a deal breaker...depending where you are too, you maybe be able to get a salvage title if the guy that gave you the bike doesnt have one. its worth looking into if you are planning to get her back on the road again!

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Halt all expenses until the title thing is figured. Even modded, I doubt the bike will outrun the police.

I learned this on a boat I was all excited about. Got a bunch of stuff for it, got WELL into the project, and now it just sits there because of title crap. I wish you the best

Oh, I was given my bike also. Basically because the plug boot was full of junk and P.O. thought it was the carbs. Heres a small list of things I've had to do to it and I've put about 1K on it.

Fan, stator, ignition system, carb parts, cam chain and tensioner, head gaskets, tires, clutch plates, cables, sealing the tank... well you get the idea. Plan on spending over 800 bucks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wilbur, just notice you post, thought I'd add a "Welcome to the Group"!

Don't Forget to check the West Coast Forum, to see whos local and check for local get togethers. We're trying to be proactive very couple of months or two for a get together at least here in the Portland area... Summer time might be good to roadtrip to a St. Helen's meet-up!

Best luck on the resurrection!

Title's sometimes an issue in Washington State, because of the protection laws and right to privacy, the DVM is unable to give you last owner info on old titles....

Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not have the title, but have already been to the titling office. If the bike hasn't been registered in the last 6 years it will not come up with any information, and I can skip mailing paperwork to the previous owner. If it comes up in the system they can't give out the information, I have to fill out a public disclosure request form for the previous owners info and wait about 3 weeks to get it, send certified letter with paperwork in it, wait for it to come back or the certified letter unopened. Then either way the above goes, once the bike is whole I have to have it inspected by the state patrol. The inspection requires receipts from legitimate businesses for any major parts I have to put on the bike (ex...engine, fenders, body panels forks, wheels, seat...) I'm not worried about it, should go fine so I will continue with the bike happily...the register and ride it when its finished, but won't get title for 3 years from the state.

Regards,

Will R.

PS

Once up and running, I will look up the local groups and get some riding in
I am in Portland once a month or so now, and will be more so once I get the bike running

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally was able to get my pics off my camera, and here is my attempt at sharing my progress so far with you folks

here is my tank

cover, tank,, and rear wheel

left side as given to me, after removing heads

left engine, with head removed

heads after removal, undersides

heads after removal, top sides

box o parts

parts

drive gear

That is all the pics from before starting to remove things (other than the heads)

I will post the progress pics that I have from removing the engine when I get home tonight.

Regards,

Will R. Everett, WA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok folks, as promised the next step in my project was removing the engine. I picked up a nice motorcycle jack from harbor freight (conviently located 2 blocks from my house
) The jack made removing the engine quick and painless, things go so much nicer when you have the right tools for the job hehe . Picks are below of the removal.

Engine down and out

Will do more work on it tonight and see what I have to show for it soon

Regards,

Will R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.