Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to try to start my motor tonight. I do not have any of the exhaust system running yet, I just wanted to try to get all the fluids in the bike and try to get it to fire. I filled all of the fluids. I have a very small coolant leak at the bottom of the stator cover. I am a bit concerned about that. After I put my daughter to bed, I put the gas tank on and turned the petcock for the first time. I saw fuel go into the fuel filter... good sign. I decided to go ahead and hit the ignition. The starter motor turned, the motor turned, then LOTS of fuel shot out of the heads where the exhaust system would attach! About that time, my daughter was awakened by the thunder and came down stairs. Now I am in for the night and will have to wait until tomorrow to go back at it. I did not figure it would start right up, but I was hoping to be a bit closer than what I am. I am just hoping I do not have the pull the motor or carbs out completely.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reagan:

I haven't been following your procedure, however was the gas coming out of the actual exhaust outlets - where the header pipes would be if connected - as unburned gas? Doesn't sound like you actually fired up so it could just be that. If the gas is coming out somewhere else, then you have another issue to deal with. Did you remove your heads? If so, upon reassembly, did you use a new head gasket? Torqued down to specs?

I did a full engine rebuild. But I did use new gaskets and torqued things to specs. The gas was coming out the exhaust outlets. It was unburned gas. What shocked me is how much gas was coming out. On each stroke of the motor there was probably a third of a cup of fuel splashing on the floor. That seems a bit excessive to me. I rebuilt my carbs using Larry's book, but maybe I just need to dial the fuel back significantly.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking last night, that my gushing gasoline issue is probably related to my floats. I guess I will take the bowls off tonight and see if everything is still in order. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.