Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've done the resistance check on the stator...….all are within range but several are marginal. Previous owner was doing resistance checks and recording the results to monitor the decline.

I made the decision the perform major maintenance to repair and replace problem areas involving an engine drop. Specifically, Raesan with Hall Effect, G8 stator, cam chain and guides, oil chain, water pump seal and all the gaskets/seals. Plus, I need to do tires. Engine first, it needs to be in good condition before I can be concerned about rubber.

Would anyone be willing to point me in the direction to obtain the Raesan with Hall effect and a good G8 stator? I've been hunting Fleecebay for a G8, but there is so much missing information that my confidence in purchasing is low.

BTW, I'm on an'81 CX500C.

One more question. How heavy is the engine? I will need to hump it from the garage to the basement. Sharing a single car garage with the MRS. places the Honda as secondary for space.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pointers.

140 lbs......ugh. Gonna need to get creative to handle on my own or draft an unwilling neighbor. MRS will just laugh at me if I ask for her to help. She'll laugh if I screw up handling it on my own.... decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok....I must be thick headed. Been studying rae-san.com and am totally confused as to which CX product I need.

Bike is '81 Cx500C with CDI and aftermarket HT coils (under fuel tank). I assume the HT coils will be acceptable. My desire is the drop the G47 stator and the LH/RH pulsars.

Is the CX CDI to 12V coil Conversion correct? What about the Hall sensor?
or
Is the CX CDI Hall/Stock Ignitions correct? Which CX CDI Hall Short Kit or CX CDI Hall Full kit?

Me and electronics don't get along very well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Murray, Thank you.

Sorry to be so thick headed on the electronic/ignition stuff. I'm a mechanical guy. Electrics/Electronics go past me pretty fast and generally leave me confused.

I'm sorting out all the gaskets and misc bits I'll need for this work. Its always the misc bits that will hang a project.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Newt,

Are you starting a build thread for this? Everyone loves a build thread with lots of pics!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wasn't intending to make a build thread.

All of this work is fully detailed in numerous posts, manuals, how-to...…

This is like any used machine you buy. Seller never discloses everything. Been constructing the part list for these tasks for a bike that "needs a little TLC". So far, my total for parts is running a little over $500. I know I don't have all the bits and pieces listed. I expect the final tally will be closer to $1000. The big ticket items are Rae-san full hall, G8, tires (front & rear), then a pile of other bits that run less than $30/ea

Nuts.....just realized I need a helmet. Any thoughts on a Bell Qualifier DLX with MIPS and Photochromatic shield? Runs about $270.

Probably need to piecemeal this out over time to mask the final total from SWMBO. She isn't too happy about the bike. But she can't make too much noise, I don't have a 4 wheel ride, while she rides a 2019 Honda CRV.

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
Have a look at G-Max helmets. I find them more comfortable than the more expensive ones and they all have to meet the same standards so why pay more for a brand that only costs more because they spend more on advertising?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I like helmets with drop down internal tinted shields. They also have a detachable clear, pop up, face shield. Safety is full face, but I prefer the 3/4 helmets.
I don’t think you need to spend anymore than $150 bucks for a good quality helmet. You also need to understand that 4-5 years and it is time for a new one if you ride a lot. Me, I ride at least 5 days a week year round. Helmets get dropped, banged and may get compromised. Also a helmet is good for one good head banging crash.

Mine are Harley helmets made by who knows who! They are top quality and you pay for the HD logo. Cycle gear has a great selection.

·
Registered
313 Posts
+1 on the drop down tinted shield. I did not know about those when i got my helmet but i wish i did! I got an HJC, it seems like a good bang for the buck and it is SNELL and DOT rated. I don't have anything else to compare it to so not sure if there are better values out there or not?

·
Registered
331 Posts
+1 on the flip down tinted lens and HJC. I have the HJC IS-MAX 2 and I am 100% happy with it. It’s also pre cut for headphones. It was a piece of cake to install my Sena.

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
I used to like HJC helmets until I tried the Gmax. As I said before, they really fit well and as others have mentioned, a modular type (= chin bar can be opened) with integral sun shield (as well as the regular clear one) is the way to go.

My winter helmet is a Gmax GM54S, the snowmobile version of the GM54 (double layer shield and extras to help keep the wind out) and my summer helmet is a Gmax half pot, also with integral sun shield.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, thanks for the recommendations on the brain bucket. I have looked at all those options, I keep coming back to the Bell Qualifier DLX with MIPS and photochromatic visor. I've had this visor on a previous Bell, it was very quick in transition and required no effort from me to "flip" an additional visor. The care of the visor was an as needed cleaning with hand soap and water, then a spritz and wipe with RainX for plastic. So sweet for water to scamper off the visor with a bit of speed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts