Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I posted a thread a few days ago about a GL500 I found for sale. It's the one pictured below.

It's an '81 GL500: New tires, new battery, VGC, 29,000 miles for $850 ~ Located about 25 miles away from me.

I recently discovered the '81 CX500 listed below.

This one also has new tires and a new battery, and is in VGC. It has 7,900 miles and it is up for $700 ~ Located about 70 miles away from me.

Both owners claim that both bikes run well and are turn key ready to ride. Now I already rented a 5' X 9' Uhaul trailer and it's hooked up to my truck and it's ready to go. I just don't know which one to choose. I like the color scheme and the mileage better on the CX, but I also like the trunk on the GL and the fact that it is a lot closer to me. I'm just looking for some direction; as in "What would you do" if you were in this situation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That CX with 8000 miles on it for 700 dollars is almost a too good to be true type ad.

At least in my opinion it is! Looks like a great bike from the pictures.

To me honest man, you should always inspect the bikes in person, check the charging system, frame, suspension, cooling system.

When I was looking for bikes I inspected more than 6 different bikes in person and let me tell you some bikes weren't as described/pictured...

You learn a lot when you go in person to inspect.

So to be honest I would go and check out the CX because I think it is obviously the best bang for your buck and see if the description/pictures hold true to the actual bike in person.

If everything checks out then grab it, if not, then check out the GL as a second option.

Just my opinions!

Best of luck, either way, they both look like great bikes for reasonable prices.

Over here in Canada both those bikes would sell for 1200+ easy especially cause of the low mileage and good "physical" condition.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If it were me I'd go with the CX because of the mileage and you could attach luggage/windshield to the CX if you want as it already has the rack, plus you can double up on it. That price is killer too, if it's in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
They both look like good bikes and mileage really doesn't matter in this case. As long as both bikes are well taken care of they will both be fine.

Basically they are the same bike.

The gas tank is bigger on the gl which is nice

The gl has a mono shock which is nicer then dual spring shocks

And it has a windshield.

I would get the gl. Cx's are easier to come buy if you want one down the road.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Huh, I didn't think of all the differences listed between the two bikes! Thinking about it more and after what Blindstitch said, I too agree the GL is probably the better buy. To me the bigger gas tank and screen are musts on any bikes I buy.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The biggest difference in the 2 bikes is one is a T.I. and one is a CDI.

The GL with the transistorized ignition should be more reliable,,with the CX you have a CDI that may be more prone to failure.

But you could buy the CX and an Ignitech for about the same price as the GL, so that evens that.

You would not get much in that trunk on the GL,,the small trunks have next to no room in them. You can get a taller trunk though. The GL may also be a bit more stable on the highway. It depends on how you plan on using it. Everyday commuter or pleasure riding.

The CX is apparently lower miles, that may be the deciding factor if it were me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing the GL does not have as pictures is the windshield. The owner says it was cracked so he removed and disposed of it. I didn't think of all the differences between the bikes!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You could always find a windshield- I think the GL is one comfortable bike

-even with the pink flames on mine my dad is still begging to take it out for a ride

... and the 5 gal tank is nice too

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
All of the above.If you intend to do some distance riding then the GL because of it's bigger tank.It's becoming a PITA even over here to find gas stations and most villages don't have them any more so when I've ridden with companions who have had short range tanks like the,"Customs" we have have to plan for them.

As for reliability between the TAI engines and the CDI engines the jury is out on that one.There are several very high mileage(200,000 miles +) CDI models out there still on the original CDI box AFAIK and with the Ignitech replacement unit I think it's a none issue now.

Even with it's higher mileage I'd go for the GL because you cn easily go and hear it running and check for engine noises like cam-chain rattle.

The Customs are more of a short journey bike.The Stock CX500s and the GLs have bigger tanks.The best I've ever had was hitting reserve at 162 miles I think.I usually fill up around 120/130 though to be safe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like most have already said, it's a tossup on which is better without physically checking them both out. Seeing low mileage on a bike, the CX, causes me to pause and think, WHY so low? usually means something was wrong with it. For me, as a CX owner, the bigger gas tank would make the choice for me hands down.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Could be right RevLee, but a lot of the bikes I've looked at with low miles, people buy them thinking it'll be great then store them because they don't like it so much, or the wife didn't like it so much. This is kind of the case with the one I'm getting. The owner before the one who is selling it to me just stuck it in his brother's garage and moved away. The kid I'm buying it from bought it 3 years ago and only put 700 miles on it but rode it somewhat consistently up until 8 months ago when his schedule changed. I'm pumped about this bike. 4,300 miles... ridiculous.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Could be right RevLee, but a lot of the bikes I've looked at with low miles, people buy them thinking it'll be great then store them because they don't like it so much, or the wife didn't like it so much. This is kind of the case with the one I'm getting. The owner before the one who is selling it to me just stuck it in his brother's garage and moved away. The kid I'm buying it from bought it 3 years ago and only put 700 miles on it but rode it somewhat consistently up until 8 months ago when his schedule changed. I'm pumped about this bike. 4,300 miles... ridiculous.

I have tyres with more mileage than your engine,damn

My Cxs are made out of lots of 2nd hand bits and if you totalled up the parts I always joke there's probably 250,000 miles worth of use in them<grin>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. Now it is just gonig to come down to which owner calls me back first. I am leaning a bit more towards the GL becasue of the ignition system and larger tank. I suppose also becasue it's closer. I will keep everyone updated with my choice this evening. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.