Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do know where the wire goes but how and i dont wat to use the suplyed splice. I never thought thoes things were safe

I looked all all the pics i could find but am lost as to how you connect the suplied red wire on to the bullet connector for the black wire. I have never been great at electricial.

In the pics it loos as tho they just strip some of the wire and jam it in one side.

Please help

·
Super Moderator
23,104 Posts
You can get a spade connector with 2 female fittings. This plus 2 males gives you a 3 way connection.

Ditto the OM type connector, but these require a special crimping tool.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For the bullet connector: You replace the male bullet terminal from the brake light switch.

Get a new one that will fit in the existing female connector (get them at your local auto parts store or Radio Shack).

Strip both wires (the brake light switch & red wire from Ignitech).

Twist them together and slip into the male bullet connector, use pliers to clamp them together.

Insert it back into the female bullet connector (for the brake light switch).

Keep in mind when you combine the wires together you will have a larger gauge (I don't know the numbers, but you can easily get them at the store).

It seems to work well and like you said is a clean solid connection

Right ? ? I'm just a home mechanic like yourself. It seems to work

ALSO You can squeeze some Dielectric grease (just don't make a mess) in the connections to keep the grit, grime, and corrosion out. Get a multi-pack of the Heat Shrink tubing and a lighter. Cut a small section of tubing, slip it on BEFORE you make the terminal connection, apply some dielectric grease to the crimped part, and shrink the tubing with a regular lighter.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
We call em Scotchloks

I dont like em either.

there are various methods of making a better connection

Shorerides sounds OK to me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. It seems tha i am a slow thinker. A few secconds after i made this post i relized i have an extra wire harnes.

A double connector and a bullet connector attached to the red wire

No parts from the bikes wireing harness were cut crimped modded in anyway.

all i have to do is deal with a bit of extra wire.

it pays to be a parts pack rat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And here is the Finished product

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I put the wires through the bullet connector, "flower" it around the male connector, and then reconnect the bullet. The wires from the red wire get sandwiched in the bullet. Never had a problem, done a couple of other bikes like this too, nothing bad to report on those either.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the detailed info Cobram. I had the spare harnes so i figured i would steal from it. thisway if i ever have to get a new bike i can just nab the cdi out without too much finangleing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts