Agh, I should've done that instead FADM. I ended up using a flathead screwdriver, thinking that if I did it straight in I'd be fine. Well, I was fine on one of the sides, but the other has a nice little "hump" I put in. I think I may be able to smooth it out with some emery cloth or something.
Anyhow, did that and it pried the head right up. Now, for a few issues. I was doing this where I thought there would be dowels. I was thinking that the dowels on the lower part of the head would be at the same place they were on the top part of the head...as in, the ones that reside in the rocker arm assembly. When I got the head off, there weren't any there. However, there was one smaller one that was quite a bit rusted in a separate area, and the second one that was supposed to complement it was missing. I looked around to see if maybe they flew out when I got the head off, but saw nothing. I also found a tiny O-Ring, but wasn't sure of where it came from. I sat it where I wouldn't lose it. I'll get into details of what I saw in the cylinder after I talk about the right cylinder.
We switched the engine to TDC on the right side, and used our 1/2 inch drive wrench with the 12 point socket, because I was too lazy to go out and buy a 6 point. I told myself that if it even HINTED at slipping, I'd stop and go to the six...and I will definitely get a six when I'm torquing them back in. Well, each of the bolts came out easily using the criss cross pattern. Removed the rocker arm assembly, and whacked the head with a rubber mallet, and this one literally came right off with very little effort. It also didn't have dowels where I thought they'd be, but it did have both of the smaller dowels, also quite rusty. But it seems as if this cylinder is using a different gasket than the left one...it is a metal type material, which reminds me of a cheese grater. The other just seemed like a normal type gasket. I didn't find any tiny o-rings on this side.
In both cylinders, the "ring" around the "cup" that the piston resides in was very rusty, but I think that that's where the water from the radiator goes. If that's the case, then that should be expected. The valves on the right side were all very very black, on the left side very black and two of them with a tinge of brown. There was no rust in the "cups" that the pistons sat in, though there was a good amount of carbon build up, and the pistons themselves had a lot of carbon and maybe a bit of a hint of rust on top.
Anyhow, excuse my noobness at engine terms, this is the first time I've ever had major components of an engine of any sort off before. I'm about to leave to finally fix my camera, and when I get home I'll take pics.