Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The head bearings really shouldnt have been too bad to do. My probelm was I was tired already, so I didnt think through most of it.

Note to self, make sure the old bottom race is out before you put the new one in. It will go in enough to not want to come back out, but not enough to do the job.

Ugh.

·
Registered
23 Posts
God Bless you. I was too embarassed to admit that very mistake when I did the new roller bearings.

Having installed the bearings there was simply no way to remove them except through destruction.

After several minutes of quiet, but heartfelt expletives, I went inside, got online and ordered the second set, which are on the bike as we speak.

I know I'm learning, I just wish it didn't hurt so much.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
It happens.

I just spent an hour packing 4 bearings by hand. Took a bit to get use to doing it again. Didn't help that it looked like vaseline was in there and it had to come out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The race came out fine as far as I can tell (didnt seem warped on a nice flat surface) so I just reinstalled it correctly. Hopefully I wont find out that it isnt straight later, but its gonna be a little while till it will see any use anyways.

Oh, and Stray Dog, guess what Im doing next.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
The race came out fine as far as I can tell (didnt seem warped on a nice flat surface) so I just reinstalled it correctly. Hopefully I wont find out that it isnt straight later, but its gonna be a little while till it will see any use anyways.

Oh, and Stray Dog, guess what Im doing next.

I suggest a large work surface. Very large. Room to spread out parts and a way to mark what they are.

Lots of rags. Good containers to catch the fluids.

Study the break down. I got completely finished and found a washer left over. Not good. Not horrible but not good.

I could do it way better and faster the 2nd time.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts