Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My list of problems continues. This is a good learning experience!

Okay, my bike has been running fine for months since I replaced the alternator in order to get the full potential out of it.

But last week, I went down in the morning (London, 7:30am about 8 celsius (45 fahrenheit)) and the bike wouldn't start.

I tried for long enough to run the battery down so I took the battery out, left the fuel off and got new spark plugs just for good measure.

This morning, with a full battery and new plugs, I tried again. She's definitely trying but I can't get any revs.

As I mentioned, I did leave the fuel off for long enough to evaporate anything left in there I think.

There's definitely petrol in the tank and I've had a whole new alternator put in recently.

At a loss - I'm sure it's something simple that my unlearned hands don't know but any help would be greatly appreciated. As these bikes don't have kick starts it's hard to get anything out of it at present.

Thanks in advance

Joseph

------ I think my footer mentions this but it's a CX500 1981

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried the choke - no difference on or off. The spark plugs do spark when taken out of the bike - I checked this. Would both need to work out of interest? OR would it still start with just one?

I replaced both just in case.

Kill switch was not on.

I haven't checked the vacuum - presumably for leaks you mean?

Thanks for feedback

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Well, you need 4 things for the engine to run.
Air, fuel, spark, and compression. One of these is missing.
Are you absolutely sure that you are getting enough fuel/petrol?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, no...

How do I check? 100% there's fuel and 100% it's been flipped to on.. I can pull the tube out and check that something comes out!?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Shoot some starter fluid into the airbox and if it starts, you have a vacuum issue - no vacuum -no petrol

·
Registered
371 Posts
My gl500 has drain screws at the bottom of the carb float bowls..easily accessed. Crack one open to see if there's gas in the bowls. If not, suck on the vacuum actuated fuel tap and see if that helps...you can use the battery overflow tube temporarily if nothing else is handy...heat the end with hot water if it don't fit easy ...

But it can take a lot of cranking to get fuel into empty carbs. And if the "compression" of the engine is not great...I mean the intake stroke of course,because that is what your fuel tap will feel,. ....or if there is any leakage at the intake rubber. Yes, I hear you drained the battery but what do I know about your battery's condition? Or your bike's state of health? Bikes can run with bad compression but starting gets very difficult anyways fuel tap problem or not....So I wanted to mention this as an option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts