Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Realistically this is pretty mild of a build that you could do yourself. To give you an idea I paid $500 for my 81 with 24,000 miles last summer. I'm in the process of customizing every inch of mine and will be in it for under 4k.

IMG_7297.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking to put no more money into it, I like the style that it is currently at. Do you think I could buy a cheap bike and do those customizations for under $2500 or should I just try to talk this guy down?

·
Registered
331 Posts
theses bikes are reliable but there are some maintenance items that a 36 year old bike may eventually need which I don't see them listed. That being said cosmetically you can replicate that bike for a couple hundred bucks. I put some tracker bars on my bike for $30, $30 for bar end mirrors, $11 for grips. seat will cost you north of $100. Cruise the forum a bit to better educate yourself with these bikes. The guys are very knowledgeable and these bikes are pretty easy to work on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It looks like the only non-stock parts are the tires ($300), pod filters ($30), handlebars ($20), seat ($300), and maybe the headlight shell. Needs a fork brace and the rear tire looks too big to allow safe suspension travel in the space it's got with the dropped plastic fender. The cables and hoses are all way too long, looks like none of those were changed to match the bar drop. The sheen on the paint looks like an uneven rattle can job on the engine. I have $1600 into my entire project including 3 bikes. IMO, that asking price is at least a grand too high even if the engine runs like clockwork and needs no mechanical help. You can do much better for less.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I don't know where you live but that asking price is way over the top around here.
Who knows what he has done to damage it?
42 mpg is nothing to brag about.
Has he overhauled the engine like it needs at that mileage?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I picked up mine for $100, but it was a non-runner (gummed carbs, cracked valve cover from a no-speed drop). The engine is sound, but I had already planned on a complete teardown and rebuild anyway and wasn't looking for a running bike.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know a guy in Rochester (I just cleaned his carbs) who has a running '79 CX500 Deluxe he's looking to sell for a lot less than that.

David

edit: oops, it is a 1980 deluxe

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am planning on buying my first bike, and found this one on Craigslist 1981 HONDA CX500 DELUXE CAFE RACER I was told this is priced to high and was wondering what you guys think?
As dccoleman mentioned, I'm looking to sell mine. Carbs are freshly cleaned and rebuilt, runs great, thanks to dccoleman and all the resources on this forum. It's a '80 Deluxe. Would be a good starting point for a project. Message me if interested.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Agree with the others here, these are great bikes, but they ARE OLD. There are also a ton of people out there that cut these up for cafe, rat, etc bikes ... which is fine, but most of them do only the visual cosmetic stuff. Then you end up paying for a bike and all the guys work, just to find an engine thats crap and has never been worked on ... dead stator (engine out $200+ work), crap timing chain (another $150), blown mechanical seal ($100) {do all 3 as a triple bypass ~$300+).

The only way I would buy a "done" bike is if I could inspect it and he could show proof of proper maintenance. Otherwise, spend $500 on one and do it yourself ..... more than likely for far less than $2800

·
Registered
242 Posts
Without seing it up close you won't know it's value...I see nothing special that deserves that price....it's done up to sell to someone who knows nothing about what their buying....if your that interested in it, kindly reply with a request to see it and inform him of its true value and that's what your willing to pay.....it never hurts to try. I would look elsewhere on here for a bike from a trusted member who knows the history and built a real racer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think that price is high. There are other CXs in craigslist that are cheaper. I think you could find a project bike for less. I paid $300 for mine.

How did you decide on a CX500 as a first bike? Or, are you looking for a project? There are a ton of nice used hondas out there. If you are looking for a good first bike. I would look at the Honda Aero (750) or Yamaha Vstar (650). If the bug fully bites you. Then buy a project bike and take your time in setting it up the way you want it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for giving me tips. I am planning on purchasing a cheap bike that I can fix up myself. I have found quite a few Honda cb's do you guys know if those are any good?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am planning on buying my first bike, and found this one on Craigslist 1981 HONDA CX500 DELUXE CAFE RACER I was told this is priced to high and was wondering what you guys think?

I would be less worried about the price and more worried about what all has or has not been done to it. As a first bike, I would strongly recommend NOT buying anything that has been modified from stock, unless you know the owner personally, or know someone who is willing and able to assist you with repairing any damage that may have been done when it was modified.

At that mileage, you are already looking at doing a triple bypass in the near future. Previous owner has plainly screwed around with the induction system. Did he select pods that don't block the secondary passageways in the carb inlets? Did he change the carburetor jets when he podded it (or did he do a Black and Decker job on the original jets? seen that on many a Honda). As Knight said, the rear tire looks like it would scrape if you put more than half a person on the seat, the control cables are all too long (suggesting a very lazy chop job on that bar drop), and there is no bracing between the strut lowers with the fender off it.

Unless you are looking for a project bike, I'd stay away from this one. He's probably selling it because after he did that half-ass conversion, it rode like shit and he doesn't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Basically.The cafe here looked exactly like the white Eurosport, when I bought it.I picked it up for £500 and have spent around £1600 on it.
Most of the work I did, you can’t see as its in the engine, and under the tank.
But now, I have a better bike for a shade over £2000.
(The white ones mine too.But it hardly cost me anything and it’s 90% restored. Long story).

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
Why do you persist in replying to threads that are years old? In this case the original poster joined in 2016, made 3 posts (all in this thread) and hasn't been back since so I doubt he is interested in your reply.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Why do you persist in replying to threads that are years old? In this case the original poster joined in 2016, made 3 posts (all in this thread) and hasn't been back since so I doubt he is interested in your reply.
Sorry. Didn’t realise.

·
Super Moderator
4,111 Posts
Make use of the "NEW" button on the forum banner so that you will see new posts only. You might also set this What's New as your home page in your browser, that way you always see new posts and bypass the recommended list which resurrects old posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts