Honda CX 500 Forum banner

I am Looking at 2 CX500's to Buy

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  lucky 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and I have never owned a Honda CX500 but I am looking at two for sale that I want to buy. I need all your expertise and advice about these motorcycles. First, the pair are being sold together and are complete motorcycles for $450.00. They definately need restoration, but that is what I am looking for anyways. They are both 1982 models, one is a Silver wing with the faring and saddlebags and everything, and the other is a Custom. The engines are clean and not corroded or anything. The engines look great on the outside, however I absolutely must have one that runs good right now. The seller says he has never had either one running but they turn over and he says the guy he bought them from said they ran. Anyways, are these engines (in general) pretty good? What are the chances of the engines starting after a carburator cleaning? I like the price for the both of them, but as I said, I need at least one of them to run well. If they are turning over, is that is good sign? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

#2 ·
If they are REALLY '82s, then odds are really good - as they will both be Transistorized Ignition.

Turning over is a good sign. I would verify BY HAND that the engines spin over (ratchet on the front crank bolt) - as long as they aren't seized, you should be able to rebuild the carbs, new battery / fuel, and fresh fluids all around - that should net you a running bike!

#4 ·

Welcome!

Try simply cleaning them first

For the carbs, I had great luck using ultrasonic cleaning and pinesol of all things. Here is the pinesol thread.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...inesol/page__p__1042__fromsearch__1#entry1042

For a great guide to carb overhaul, check out larry's method. This is what I used to strip the carbs:

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32

Only took a few hours of good work, and it was worth it! You should have seen all the goo and crud that was in those carbs.

That is great that they are both '82.. Very desireable!

Do you know the mileage?

You can get started by downloading a manual off of the quick links at the top of the page.

edit- fixed a bad link

#9 ·
Even if they turn out to be in bad shape, this forum is always a major key to have your bike running at cheap price. The members are very experienced on these bikes and very fast in giving clues and solutions to your problem. Larry, one of the members, has been rebuilding more than a hundred carbs from cx/gl, so when it comes to carbs, he’s one the men. But lots of expertise here for sure.

#14 ·
Good point, if at all half decent I would......parts...parts....parts

#12 ·
Depending on how they were stored since they were last ridden you may be able to replace the battery, drain out the old gas, replace it and of you go on both of them.

Be sure to check the tires for dry rot and code dates, bikes that have been sitting for ages can get flat spots and old tires aren't really worth trusting your life to.

Somewhere in the forums is a thread called CX500 checklist which should come in handy.

Don't get me wrong, once running you'll find plenty of little things that will need attention but many are just seals.

#16 ·
delano did you happen to see them listed on craigslist?? and if so then they guy upped the price at one point they were here in az 20 minutes away from me the guy that owned them sold them for 20 bucks to a guy that lived in utah and that person sold them to a guy in vegas i saw these to bikes up close and i was told i was a day late other wise i would own them right now and for what its worth the both ran!! and the guy that is selling them in vegas was at first selling them for 150 bucks or a Cleveland motor than had good compression so i would jump on it

(when they were in az they were right behind my mother in laws house in chloride az)

looks like the price went up even more

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1934723797.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.