Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago on the old forum, someone posted details of a hydraulic clutch conversion on a CX500. His donor was a mid-'80s Honda, if I recall correctly.

Does anyone remember that?

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
269 Posts

CC tried one of the "Pitbike" kits I was linking to, said it doesn't have the power to do the job well and is hard to bleed. I had some suggestions on how to fix that. not sure how it went.

Also, quite a while ago, someone drilled their clutch cover and mounted the slave cylinder from another 80's honda. the kind a slave that mounts to the side of the motor/tranny, not the kind that will pull your stock clutch arm.

Would love to see That tech tip/how-to post again.

I think I am ready to try it.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, quite a while ago, someone drilled their clutch cover and mounted the slave cylinder from another 80's honda. the kind a slave that mounts to the side of the motor/tranny, not the kind that will pull your stock clutch arm.
That's the one I'm remembering. He had I bolted to, or in place of, the clutch cover to directly press the thrust pin.

R

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just curious, what would be the advantage? Other than the cable not being there to possibly break? I've never had a hydro-clutch bike before so I don't know much at all about them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just curious, what would be the advantage? Other than the cable not being there to possibly break? I've never had a hydro-clutch bike before so I don't know much at all about them.

Honda shadows have a hydraulic clutch. Nothing too special. Like you said though. No breaking cables.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda shadows have a hydraulic clutch.
Thanks, Zegwin. That's the info I was looking for. There are a number of Shadow slave cylinders on eBay. If I can grab one cheaply, maybe I'll give it a try.

R

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks, Zegwin. That's the info I was looking for. There are a number of Shadow slave cylinders on eBay. If I can grab one cheaply, maybe I'll give it a try.

R

No problem. If it works well I might give it a shot. just for kicks....

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have fitted one of these pit bike clutch kits to my 1983 Gl1100. It does not make the clutch any lighter to operate but it makes it a lot smoother which helps my arthritis.

A couple years ago on the old forum, someone posted details of a hydraulic clutch conversion on a CX500. His donor was a mid-'80s Honda, if I recall correctly.

Does anyone remember that?

Thanks,

R

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I have fitted one of these pit bike clutch kits to my 1983 Gl1100. It does not make the clutch any lighter to operate but it makes it a lot smoother which helps my arthritis.
Got any pictures?

·
Registered
269 Posts
+1 on the pictures, please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts