Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I finally found the same bunch of guys who used to be the Horizontal Twisted Twins Association.

And something else prior to that, which I can't at the present remember.

Anyway, in looking through some of the posts I see a couple of names that I remember - Gene McCall and Charles to be specific - but whatever happened to that obstinate old codger from Vermont? The one that rode a yellow GL-500.

I'm still riding (although it's a BMW K75RT mostly now)and I've still got a couple of GL-500's including the silver one that I put 134,000 miles on. It had to be pulled down for a rotor replacement and I still haven't taken the time to re-assemble it.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope to not lose track of you guys again!

Sam Bateman

Arvonia, VA

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hiya sam,a warm welcome to you from the south of spain.ill bet its nice to be back

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Sam,

I am a brand newbie here too, but welcome. I just might be the closest guy on the forum to you over here at Smith Mountain Lake. The GL500 I am starting to restore is just getting broken in at 49,000 miles. I hope to finish the break in period after I get it running.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
Welcome back Sam. Hopefully you stick around this time. Phil should be around soon if it's him your looking for, we'll know soon.

Get that GL back together though.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Good to hear from you again, Sam. Yes, Old Yeller's pilot Phil has moved south. The old guys do that it seems.
Old Yeller is long gone, after it became a trike (another thing the old guys seem to do
) But he's got a thread going on his latest trike project.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Looks like I finally found the same bunch of guys who used to be the Horizontal Twisted Twins Association.

And something else prior to that, which I can't at the present remember.

Anyway, in looking through some of the posts I see a couple of names that I remember - Gene McCall and Charles to be specific - but whatever happened to that obstinate old codger from Vermont? The one that rode a yellow GL-500.

I'm still riding (although it's a BMW K75RT mostly now)and I've still got a couple of GL-500's including the silver one that I put 134,000 miles on. It had to be pulled down for a rotor replacement and I still haven't taken the time to re-assemble it.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope to not lose track of you guys again!

Sam Bateman

Arvonia, VA

Sam, Sam, Sam, I can't tell you how good it is to hear from you!! I feel better, after I saw you ride away in that town in Va I never heard of or saw you again. I was wondering what I did to run you off
For a while I speculated that your habit of riding with the chin bar of your modular helmet in the up position had resulted in your head being torn off by the wind from a passing trailer truck but never found any news items about "headless motorcycle riders".

As you now know Phil fled the snows of the north for the snows of North Carolina, instant "red neck" in Low Gap. He is still the same ole "Damn Yankee" who will bite your head off if he disagrees with you but will give you the shirt off his back if you need it!

BTW Old Yeller had a sex change and became a trike before Phil parted with it. He currently rides a Susuki and it too is undergoing a sex change!

Check out the Southeast riders forum and look at the thread for the Mountain Momma rally. It is an HTTA rally I am hosting in Marlinton, West Va. It is set for June 10-12. The Amish has moved forward in time to the first weekend in August, check the Amish rally 2011 thread.

Good to hear from you, my email is [email protected], drop me a line.

Gene

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hi Sam,

I am a brand newbie here too, but welcome. I just might be the closest guy on the forum to you over here at Smith Mountain Lake. The GL500 I am starting to restore is just getting broken in at 49,000 miles. I hope to finish the break in period after I get it running.

From one old man to another, don't know if I welcomed you to the board or not but I'm glad to have you on, us old farts got to stick together! Here's an idea. Check out the Mountain Momma rally thread on the South East riders forum, link up with Sam and drag his rusty old butt over to the rally in June. Its possible you two guys are the closest to the rally site in Marlinton, West Va.

Gene

PS: Sam, its an HTTA rally but all bikes are welcome, Dave in Wisc. shows up from time to time on his Beemer!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Gene - thanks for the greeting and invite - that is only about 3 hours from here and I will see if it is possible. My oldest daughter is having our first grandchild shortly before that, so . . . not sure about schedules yet, but it sounds like fun. I won't likely have my GL roadworthy by then so I'd have to bring the Superchicken.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Always nice to see a name from "old times".

Welcome back!

Sture

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks guys. It's good to find out where you guys are now hanging out.

Yup, that was Phil I was thinking of.

He's moved SOUTH you say? South of the Mason-Dixon line??

Well...... that would explain all this cold white stuff we've been having recently!

Lowgap, NC is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway just South of the VA/NC State line, right?

Pretty country down that way - I've done a bit of traveling through there. Much of it on 2 wheels but some in my VW Westfalia.

I'll have to drop down and look him up. Once this last batch of white stuff melts.

Gene I'm sorry I fell out of touch. It wasn't a planned thing I was just going through a change in my life and, unfortunately, I lost touch with a bunch of folks during that time. But sometimes we have to adjust our priorities to match reality. Divorce and aging Parents was my particular cross to bear for a few years.

Went about 3 years without riding at all - a first in my 30 some year love afair with motorbikes.

I've been riding this BMW K75RT for 4 years or so now and put about 30,000 miles on it.

It's a realy great machine but I'm still undecided about whether it's better than the GL-500 or not. It's got more power, handles much better, and has tremendously better brakes than the SilverWing but..... that GL-500 just FITS me better.

I'll definetly get the SilverWing back together and hopefully put many more miles on it before it retires.

Marlinton, WV is another town I've been through more than once. It's just over the VA/WV State line from Warm Springs and not too far South of Monteray.

As a matter of fact, the last time I was through there was a couple of years ago on my way to the Ramp Festival in Helvetia, WV.

A buddy of mine and I rode up there and really enjoyed that part of the State. Really remote and a cell phone black-out area because of the Green Bank observatory but pretty beyond description.

I'll definetly try to make the rally there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.