Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have a little rust in my tank that i want to use zep to remove the rust. Is this a good idea? Is there an over the counter way of resealling the tank? Or do i need to send it off for that?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Por 15 tank sealer. Some places might be able to order it but you won't find it over the counter.

Don't buy Kreem tank liner because it doesn't hold up as good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey everyone, i have a little rust in my tank that i want to use zep to remove the rust. Is this a good idea? Is there an over the counter way of resealling the tank? Or do i need to send it off for that?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

as blindstitch has said, don't use kreem that stuff is crap. i use por 15 in the restorations i do that need a tank sealer. good stuff. www.por15.com

Ravyn

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Some have also used Caswell and RedCote but I prefer por 15.

I made a few mistakes when I did my first tank and they didn't involve the tank but I have a shirt that got a 50 cent piece size area covered with sealer and wiped off quickly. After two years and who knows how many washes it's still rock hard.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Please keep in mind the fact that if you use any coating product and goof it up, no professional, ie radiator shop, will touch it. Then you you have to go to places that will cut the bottom out of the tank to repair it, for $300-$400. Then you have to paint it. It all depends how bad the tank is to start out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I used Caswells- worked great for me, so far no issues, and super easy to use!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used Caswells- worked great for me, so far no issues, and super easy to use!

Its got some rust for sure in it and i want to get my tank and fenders painted but i dont want to paint a rusty tank you know. Is it a hard process to reseal?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Its got some rust for sure in it and i want to get my tank and fenders painted but i dont want to paint a rusty tank you know. Is it a hard process to reseal?

Nah, the instructions are on the site too, I think. But after using water to flush out the screws (suggested to get the potential loose rust) I noticed a heavy rust color- AND I had a hole in my tank. So we filled it with water, welded the small hole, and I flushed it with water until it was as clear as I could get it. Then you make sure the inside is dry, mix the sealer, roll it around the tank-

I was a first timer, and I did it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
BEWARE of tank seal kits, ALL of them...use at your own risk A good consistent % of people have these fail, even if you follow the instructions, or go above and beyond. If the lining kit screws-up most likely you will be better off getting a used gas tank and starting all over. It becomes a real mess.

Even if the lining looks good and you feel successful, weeks, months, or even a year or so down the road after normal use (especially with ethanol now in our gas) the lining can start flaking. I've seen this first hand on other people's bikes.

I much prefer to find a local or even over the internet professional place to line the tank. Call paint shops, powder coating shops, radiator shops, etc and see if they do it, or if they know anyone that does it. Usually it's not much more expensive than the do-it-yourself kits!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts