Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I need to swap my broken kill switch, I need to get the throttle cables unscrewed. I've been told I'll need to remove them from the carburetor end before I can unscrew them from the kill switch. I've looked at it but I can't get a decent view of what I'm trying to release. I've got the two cables identified fore and aft on the carburetor but I can't see how they connect. Supposedly they've got a little cylindrically shaped nub on the end which catches somehow but I can't see how. Just upstream of that are adjustment nuts. Does something need to be done with them as well?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Loosen the nut on the bottom all the way and lift the cable up and out of the holder.

Sometimes it gets tricky and you have to take the intakes off the carb and give it a wiggle. There is a screw that holds the stop plate on. Sometimes I take that off but sometimes I leave it on. Just depends on how much fighting is involved.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loosen the nut on the bottom all the way and lift the cable up and out of the holder.

Sometimes it gets tricky and you have to take the intakes off the carb and give it a wiggle. There is a screw that holds the stop plate on. Sometimes I take that off but sometimes I leave it on. Just depends on how much fighting is involved.

Those things are a bitch. I can loosen the nut at the bottom of the fitting and then slide the cable loose from the little bracket holding the fitting, but then the cable wraps around another bracket so that I can't see what it does. When I lived in Charlotte, I had a little inspection mirror on a whip antenna but naturally I can't find it now. I guess I'll be going to the auto parts store in the morning to buy one. Then maybe I can see what's going on down there. In the meanwhile I guess I've hit a stone wall.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
This link may help. You will spend more time trying to get the cables off without pulling the carbs off than you will by removing them. 4 Clamps, 4 screws for the intake manifold, and 2 drain hoses. Then the cables will come off in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think you may be able to do this by loosening the handlebars. I don't have it in front of me, but I pulled a similar kill switch from an old cb900 the other day by removing the bars... ( if my memory is sorta working)

Edit: more I think about it... I remember it was a bitch to unscrew the cable guides at the switch when I did it...kinda had to bend one up over the other and spin them out. maybe not such a good idea?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Jay, another tip but it might be too late is to wrap and label each cable with masking tape so you remember which one is which later on. Like Larry said, I've found is just easiest to take the carbs off first and than take the cables off.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already labeled the cables F and R (front and rear). I visited Napa this morning and bought two inspection mirrors to try to see what was going on under there. Even with them, I can't really see.

So I found a Japanese guy in Jacksonville who works on vintage bikes. He's going to come out to the house next week and do this for me.

The more I looked at what was written, the more I realized I'm in over my head. Pulling the carbs? By the time I get through with that I'll end up with pistons out, wristpins on the table, crankshaft sitting on the floor, etc. This is just getting bigger and bigger. Better to let somebody who knows what he's doing work on it.

I appreciate the efforts of those who tried to help me.

·
Registered
967 Posts
A couple things I did that helped with this...I replaced the screw that holds the throttle cable bracket with a 5mm Allen head screw. This allows me the ability to tighten and loosen it very easily using a 5mm allen socket with an extension.

To get the cables off, I removed the right carb cylinder cover, the cylinder and spring, which gave me all sorts of clearance and a good view. Cover the carb with a towel to prevent debris from entering the carb, then I loosened the throttle cable bracket, loosened the 10mm nuts on the cable ferrule, and they came off quite easily.

To loosen the cables, I used a 10mm box wrench, and a 10mm line wrench;

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This link may help. You will spend more time trying to get the cables off without pulling the carbs off than you will by removing them. 4 Clamps, 4 screws for the intake manifold, and 2 drain hoses. Then the cables will come off in a matter of minutes.

I'm installing mine back (again) now...

on that link it, it says "1/8" to 1/4" throttle free play" - what does that mean? also, as far as the locking nuts for the throttle cables, how tight do they need to be?

·
Registered
128 Posts
that means you should be able to turn the throttle a little (those distances) without actually moving the cable attached to the carb. You want all the cables (brake, clutch, throttle) to have a little slack so that you guarantee they return to a non-engaged state when released.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.