Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04-10-2011

Greetings all,

I am wondering if others out there have had much success at removing their bikes' Rear tires

(on the more-stout-star-design, black-colored rims) as is on my GL500i.

I have changed out front and rear tires on other bikes before, and I have changed out the

front wheel's tire on this GL before (with Tire Levers).

I tried for an hour plus (in the sun after letting the material heat-up) to unseat and remove that

16" tire from the rim and finally took it to a nice shop where they had it off with a pneumatic

device in a few minutes.

I am not totally opposed to taking the wheel into a nice shop again; I am interested to find out

if others have a method to recommend for a manual removal and installation.

Thanks All.

Cheers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just changed my tires this weekend. The front tire was a battle, but I got it done. After getting done with the front, I looked over at the back tire and thought "forget this". Well, against my better judgement, I tried for about 1/2 an hour - could not get the tire broke from the rim. Took it to a shop and they changed tires for $10. At that price, from now on they can do both!

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
At one time, on either this current forum, or in the archive, there was a post about making a jig of sorts to break the beads etc. There are some good videos on youtube also. Since you already have some experience with other machines, you have the basics down. I've always had a shop do it though, it is just so much easier for me. If you are enterprising, and really want to find a way to do it, others will chime in eventually. It seems some have not too much trouble, but I'm guessing the tools and time are the biggest thing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blindstitch, that is how I did my front tire - with a C-Clamp, but didn't have one big enough for the rear - that's a BIG C-Clamp! lol Guess you could use one of the old style bumper jacks and your truck bumper like my dad and i use to do car and truck tires. You could also have someone position the wheel and tire under the front tire of a truck and use the weight of the vehicle to break the sidewall down. Wow, those were the days - poor people have poor ways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
04-18-2011

Thanks all for the responses;

"...I tried for about 1/2 an hour - could not get the tire broke from the rim. " (Rear Tire)

That is pretty much what I experienced, & my bike is about the same color (Safety Blue),

so I'm sure that I'm in the right company.

There have been many fine ideas brought up.

I like the BIG C-Clamp Idea, along with the rest. I'll have to give the ideas a try.

Thanks All.

Cheers=)

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I changed the tires on my 500I, a friend of mine had one of these. Worked great, had it off and back in place in an hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts