Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So recently I've been noticing a fair amount of play in the shifter lever. It's not internal, it's on the outside splines. Either the lever itself is wearing down a bit, or the shaft splines are. It's not too bad yet, but I want to try and fix it before it gets any worse.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and if they had a solution to it? My initial idea was to take some tinfoil and wrap a layer or two around the shaft and form it around the spines so that it would fill the gap and stop the slack. Not sure if that would work or not, but if anyone has a better idea please let me know. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,570 Posts
I have drilled and tapped worn shifters from the back and fitted a short M6 bolt to work as a grub screw. It needs to be centred in the shifter to bear on the groove in the shifter shaft the existing bolt passes through.

Do up the pinch bolt and then the grub. The grub will need to be retightened several times in use before it settles.

Almost easier to do than explain....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I think I understand what you mean. That sounds pretty straight forward actually as long as I can get the drill straight. So you don't really touch the shifter shaft at all then?

·
Super Moderator
22,570 Posts
No, you don't want it to further damage the splines.

Another trick I've done is to open the closed wedge up with a screwdriver and then run a super slim angle grinder cutting disc into the gap to open it up a little, then it will clamp down further.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense, that would work good then!

Hmmmm that sounds a lot easier haha. I might give that a go first and see if that solves the issue. If not, then drill and tap it is!
Thanks CXPhreak!!!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,659 Posts
I like the set screw option. I had a bike that the shift pedal was always loose on the shaft and I filed out the slot (this was before I had an angle grinder) but it never did tighten up well and, with the chrome removed, the faces inside the slot rusted.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point about the Rust Bob. In that case maybe the only route is indeed the set screw option. I will fool around with some stuff tonight hopefully and see what works. So far though, I will more than likely drill and tap the hole in the lever.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,659 Posts
I have been thinking about this and it should be more secure with the setscrew in the long run. Since the diameter of the inside of the lever is now larger than the diameter of the shaft, opening the slot will result in the lever only contacting the shaft at 2 places. If you leave the slot and add the setscrew it will contact in 3 places.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I had this problem before I dit the thing CxPhreak said removed material enough to

let it clamp a little tighter didn't take much maybe .015-020 in and there was some space to

make it tighter if need be.

Tighten ride re tighten don't just wring down on that tiny .if its nasty

get a new better one.

When the triple comes around get it fixed right.:cool:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help and tips guys! Surprisingly enough, tightening down that bolt a bit more made all the difference :wacko: However, it did feel like the bolt or threads in the shifter lever were damaged, and that's why it might have come loose a bit. I might have to drill through the threaded hole and just use a nut and bolt if it ever comes loose. I checked the splines on the shifter shaft and they looked good.

I looked at the gap between the clamping part and even when tightened down there was a pretty good gap, enough for me to be able to make sure it was actually clamping. I'll keep in mind what you said Purplecx500 though!

Sounds like the best bet would be to get a new shifter then if this one comes loose again. Maybe this winter I will pick up a new lever then. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts