Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stripping my GL500 to get it painted and have almost everything off, but I can't seem to removed the rear fender. I have all the bolts off and I can pivot it up and down, but it's still held on by the two bars on the rear of the bike. Anyone know how to remove them? Pic below.

HHxkyWK.jpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello the helmet lock has a nut on a pin with a wire keeper and on the inside is another nut . Remove the wire hold the the nut on inside and turn the one on the outside where the helmet lock goes thru frame and fender . I hope this helps:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey there, thanks for the reply. just so i'm sure, when you say 'turn the one on the outside where the helmet lock goes thru frame and fender' is this the nut you're referring to?

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,116 Posts
Unhook the springs from the frame first. It'll be less exciting that way. Then remove the wire clips, plates, and springs, If you need to, you can then pull the lever spindle out of the assembly.

R

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, the area you've circled is part of the rail. Under the lever is the head of a hollow bolt that mates with the nut inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts