Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... changing the oil on the red GL650I I got recently. Noticed that the clutch cover gasket was leaking.

Wheel Train Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim

I have the bolts out, and the clutch cable disconnected, but the cover won't budge. Smacked the sides of it with a rubber mallet a few times, but it just laughed at me!

Before I do something stupid, who has a clever way to break it loose without wedging a blade of some sort between the sealing surfaces and possibly damaging them?

Gonna wait for some suggestions before I continue. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Have you tried applying the clutch? If the cable is disconnected a suitable wrench can be used to turn the clutch arm.

By the way,both nuts on the clutch cable should be above the perch rather than one above and one below.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried applying the clutch? If the cable is disconnected a suitable wrench can be used to turn the clutch arm.

By the way,both nuts on the clutch cable should be above the perch rather than one above and one below.
Thanks!

Yes, I have used a channel lock wrench to apply the clutch. Had to do that to get the cable disconnected.

Are you suggesting perhaps that I pull out on the clutch lever arm a bit while I have it firmly gripped with the channel lock wrench?

Yes, both nuts are above the perch. The thing that perhaps looks like a nut in my picture is actually the top piece of the little rubber cable gator.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use your channel locks on the clutch arm to apply pressure to the clutch plates. The cover usually will come loose.
l'll give that another try. Only did that once so far to get the cable disconnected.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
431 Posts
Try a utility knife blade.

Tap it into the gasket using the sharp edge to drive into the gasket. This will act like a small wedge.

You don't need a big hammer to tap on the blade. Just easy taps.

This avoids prying or jamming a big item to force the cover loose.

If the cover has not let go and the blade is in, add a thin putty knife next to the utility blade.

Don't go heavy handed Mongo. The cover is die cast aluminum.....basically a thin skin of metal surrounding a bubble core.

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Are you suggesting perhaps that I pull out on the clutch lever arm a bit while I have it firmly gripped with the channel lock wrench?
NO, just use the channel locks to turn the arm as though applying the clutch. When you turned the arm to release the cable were the cover bolts still in place?

Reactions: WingMan71

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO, just use the channel locks to turn the arm as though applying the clutch. When you turned the arm to release the cable were the cover bolts still in place?
Yes, the bolts were still in place.

I'll do that again tomorrow now that the bolts are removed.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,484 Posts
Reactions: richnct

·
Premium Member
12,484 Posts
I didn't recommend prying the cover off. I merely suggested a possible explanation of why it won't let go. I've seen Permatex overused too many times.

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Super Moderator
24,026 Posts
Nothing wrong with allowing for contingencies but it's something to argue about I guess.

Most likely the clutch bellcrank will just pop it off when rotated anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK... it's finally off!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Wheel

Three or four movements of the clutch lever with a channel lock wrench and it finally let go.

One owner bike before I bought it, so I doubt this cover was ever removed before. Now to get the crusty old gasket remnants cleaned off.

Thanks all for the help!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,978 Posts
I'm sure you know to clean the mating surfaces before you put it back together but if you also apply a thin coating of grease to both sides of the gasket it will still seal but it won't stick so it should come apart easier the next time.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm sure you know to clean the mating surfaces before you put it back together but if you also apply a thin coating of grease to both sides of the gasket it will still seal but it won't stick so it should come apart easier the next time.
Ive always done that because i saw others do it but never knew why? Now i know.

·
Premium Member
12,484 Posts
Oils in the grease will swell the paper and help the gasket seal. And unlike gasket cement, it let's the gasket come off cleanly and easily for possible reuse.

Reactions: D-Fresh
1 - 17 of 17 Posts