Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to bring my CX back to life and ran into a snag with one of my cylinders. My mechanic found rust and a little bit of pitting in one cylinder and now its only getting 70 psi while the other is getting about 120 psi.

I don't think I can just remove the cylinders and bring them to get bored and honed because of the way motor is constructed. But, taking my bike to a machinist is looking like a few grand, which I ain't got.

I've gotten some more reasonable quotes to get the job done, but I'd have to drop the motor and remove a lot of the casing for the machinist to get at the cylinders.

Has anyone ever went this route before? Any advice for prepping a motor for boring? Will I have to dismantle the entire engine? What should I consider when reassembling the motor once I get it back?

Any input is appreciated, folks. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea where I can get a good used engine besides ebay? Or do you know any reputable dealers there?

·
Registered
244 Posts
And you'll have to find and pay for oversize pistons first :( ........

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't knlw your relationship with your mechanic so tske this with a grain of salt.

I read your other posts and you seem like a nice guy with little mechanical knowledge. I.e. the perfect shop customer. If he didn't tell you the engines shot go buy a new one to rebuild he's just making it sound bad enough to justify 20 hours of labor.

Just hone it and slap some new rings on it. Use some cheap oil treatment and a bit of gas treatment every now and then. You just want to ride it not race it right ?

You say its making 70 lbs now after he found rust ? What was it making before and how did he find that rust and pitting ? If you had say 100 and he pulled the head and you now have 70 abandon ship and find a new shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't knlw your relationship with your mechanic so tske this with a grain of salt.

I read your other posts and you seem like a nice guy with little mechanical knowledge. I.e. the perfect shop customer. If he didn't tell you the engines shot go buy a new one to rebuild he's just making it sound bad enough to justify 20 hours of labor.

Just hone it and slap some new rings on it. Use some cheap oil treatment and a bit of gas treatment every now and then. You just want to ride it not race it right ?

You say its making 70 lbs now after he found rust ? What was it making before and how did he find that rust and pitting ? If you had say 100 and he pulled the head and you now have 70 abandon ship and find a new shop.
Yes, I just want to ride and not race this bike.

I don't know what the psi was before he pulled the head off, but he says he used a small camera to look into the cylinder and thats when he spotted the rust and potting.

The more I look into this, the more likely it seems I'm going to have to get another motor to throw in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That cylinder will still run. Put it back together and ride it! Keep a spare spark plug handy in case oil fouling grounds it. Keep up on oil level. Drive it 'til it drops, or you die of old age. And smile, CX's are a HOOOT!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts