Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys out there with other bikes bigger or smaller. How big or small does a bike have to be to do 65-70mph or greater on a windy day and not get blown around like a tea cup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i had a full dressed moto guzzi and out on the interstate i would still get drift from wind and trucks. it was a 1100cc and heavy! and had my 300lbs sitting on it. but i have to say 70 was hard to do with that bike. 65-70mph is when you they it into 5th gear!

·
Registered
511 Posts
It seems the more accesories like fairing, bags, trunk, etc. on the lighter bike, the more you get tossed around. The lighter bikes mostly naked don't seem to get blasted or side blown as badly. At least that's my experiance.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I reckon gusting is the worst to cope with

you're running along nicely when wallop! a gust tries to

push you into a ditch or under the wheels of a truck

My CX with Barn door windsheild + add on

OK at say 65-70 but above that gets a bit fractious if its gusty

and crossing white lines at 80+ wind or not is a test of a chaps underpants

My K100RS with RT fairing is pretty stable at even illegal speeds unless its

very windy and gusty

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I reckon gusting is the worst to cope with

you're running along nicely when wallop! a gust tries to

push you into a ditch or under the wheels of a truck

My CX with Barn door windsheild + add on

OK at say 65-70 but above that gets a bit fractious if its gusty

and crossing white lines at 80+ wind or not is a test of a chaps underpants

My K100RS with RT fairing is pretty stable at even illegal speeds unless its

very windy and gusty

Good points Reg.I forgot that I automatically,"Duck-Down" into my small bubble fairing or my other wind shield which presents less of a profile for the wind to catch when it's windy or gusty.Both my shields are small but the Getgeared one,

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/PUIG_Universal_Mini_Sports_Touring_Motorcycle_Screen

Is exceptional for it's size in fact I'm amazed how effective such a small screen can be and it's better than the larger Fabrini one on my Bitsa CX.

PS

At night or low light I get a really cool effect off the GG screen as it's like having a HUD(Heads Up Display) feeling when riding with the idiots lights/Clock lights etc reflecting back.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For you guys out there with other bikes bigger or smaller. How big or small does a bike have to be to do 65-70mph or greater on a windy day and not get blown around like a tea cup.

I must be the only guy here who totally misread the subject line. I thought to myself: "Why would anybody want to know that?"

My bad.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
BS, wind can be a problem, any time, any where! On our trip to Alaska in 08 Don & I encountered winds in Montana and a couple of times in Canada when we had to tilt the hack into the wind, just to be able to go straight! This was at our normal speed of about 55 mph. For those not familiar with hack, mine has ECC, electric camber control. This is an electric motor on the sidecar wheel which allows you to raise or lower the sidecar thereby tilting the bike to adjust for the camber in the road. It takes a lot of stress out of steering, eliminating pulling to one side or the other. We were on an ST (700 lbs), sidecar (250 lbs, empty), me (175 lbs), Don (about 175-180 empty), pulling a LIl Bunkhouse camper. The Givi trunk was loaded, both saddle bags were loaded, the trailer tub was level full and the huge trunk on the hack was full, plus we kept stuff in the seat area of the hack. We did not have a chance to weigh the rig & us but our best guess was somewhere north of 1800 lbs. Still the wind pushed us around at times!

This is what the wind was pushing around!

Gene

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah Jay me too....at first I was thinking "maybe he got into a fight with his girlfriend" LMAOOOOOO

But seriously I don't think it really matters what you're driving/riding down the highway when it's windy....it blows my big heavy Suburban around, my car, the bike and big semis...it doesn't matter what your driving/riding.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I think it really has to do with the design of the windshield and fairings more than the weight of the bike.

I also feel that experience is a factor also in that you learn to lean your bike somewhat into the wind and thus you don' suffer the same lane moving experiences that you do trying to sit straight up while riding in strong winds.

Gusty winds are almost impossible to compensate for with either a bike or a riding style.

It can be unnerving when you are in heavy traffic being thrown around like that. I have found in some cases the faster you go the better you cut through the wind ... but not always and also you don't want the tickets.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is it me, or is blind posting some Provocative thread headers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.