Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes because I come across men recovering their badgers all the time!

That is a funny video!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Speaking of course, as a life long test rider, I can attest to the utter rubbish of this Video - Triumph is nowhere near as organised and efficient as that

IWWT, I think you have just confirmed something I have been wondering about! Are you a transplant from Merry Ole England? If not, perhaps from one of the other colonies? In past posts you have spelled "tire" as "tyre". Just curious, if that is the case may I extend a (probably very belated) belated welcome to the states! In a past life I owned 3 Trumps, a 500 twin and 2 650s. I loved the sound of those bikes, just can't say much for the electrics!

Gene

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I'm sure they will, but you will have to supply the DNA.

This could be harder than I thought. I might have to go on Jerry Springer to figure out who's the father.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gene

Indeed yes, I hail from near Stonehenge. when I think of Triumphs I think of Meriden, and not hinckley plastic triumphs. As a test rider I was in fact involved quite heavily with triumphs resurrection so know the "new" models quite well. When I was a lad Triumph, Norton and BSA ruled the roost and I was the only 8yr old I knew that had his own bonny.....the good old days. I have owned many trumps from cider tubs to tridents, and have a very soft spot for the old bathtubs, my favourite being an old '59 speed twin that was just so cool. The only hinckley triumph I never did any work on was the rocket 3 ( it still makes me grimace now to call it that after the real history of that name) as the original prototype bike seized solid on its first attempt so was shelved as was the twin ( mistakenly called Tina in pre release days) so the bulk of the development went into the early 3's and 4's of which Triumph regarded the 1200 trophy as their little jewel. as a testament to that engine, the tyre company I worked for had a 1200 Trophy pre production model which when new did 166mph (timed) and until it was written off by a muppet rider had in its 29000 mile life spent more than 8000 miles at 166mph. 3 days before it was destroyed it still logged at 166mph. my own personal favourite was the Thunderbird Sport, which I had a great deal of design input into and I chose the final suspension package and of course, designed and test rode the tyres. I also had one that (yellow and black colours) had a T309 registration plate. If I was in the market for a new trump now, I would probably choose the Tiger

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
IWWT, that is great! My last 650 was a 61 and I won a steak dinner with it. At the time I was in college and was known to run around with some local Highway Patrolmen (state police). One of them bet me a steak dinner that my bike would not go over 100mph. He made it easy for me! At about 3am one Sunday morning he set up his radar on a nice stretch of road outside the Boro. By his own equipment he clocked me at 123mph! I enjoyed the steak dinner but I enjoyed ribbing him even more! Speaking of BSA I once owned (for about 6 months) a Thumper, at least thats what we called the 500cc single. It had an incredible ability to idle very slowly, seemed to be hitting maybe once every 2 or 3 minutes! In the late 50s and early 60s we used to routinely blow Harleys off the road. If it seemed they were going to stay with us, all we had to do was keep on going & pretty soon something would fall off the Harley and they would have to stop. Thanks for your post, you brought back some good memories!

Gene

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ah, I presume your Beezer was either an M22 or a B50 rather than the much more saught after Gold Star. My first ever official (wink) race bike was the ex works 350 Goldie as raced by one D. Minter. Years later, when british race bikes were almost valueless I felt happy to have been able to swap it for a brand new set of Lewis race leathers ( black, of course, with number tapes). At the same time in my fathers house, we had built a new concrete path to a new shed and used a complete disassembled 125 maserati and Greeves silverstone as hardcore, by way of finally getting them off our hands. Oh, wish I had kept them all now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.