Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
put bike in first and use starter to help push/drive it up plank
but don't use plywood. It might be too slippery at that incline without wood "cleats" nailed to it.

I still prefer dragging a platform on rails with the bike strapped to it. I've seen too many you-tube videos of people riding up ramps into pickups...A piece of thick plywood would do and is EZ but a pallet made is cheaper. ...But I would be thinking that it should work if I were doing it myself with friends merely "helping" .....

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Cute thread, but I find if you try to overthink things to much you will research it for years while the bike remains in the basement. Lets look at it logically. One person pushing it up the stairs by themselves would be a BAD idea, so logic dictates you need help, at least 1 other person. Now, the bike is heavy but its not a tank, so don't let the weight of it boggle your mind. Two people can easily handle the bike, which isn't the real problem .... its GRAVITY. So, but using a cable / strap / rope you can negate gravity, all you need is something to hook it onto at the top. One person can easily keep the bike upright, even on stairs, the hard part is getting it UP which would require a second person to both PULL and HOLD. The easiest way is a com along or winch, it will prevent the bike from going backwards and takes gravity right out of the equation. It will also provide all the PULLING so no one has to pull a muscle.
If it were me, I would get a winch and secure it at the top (can be as easy as hooking it to a pipe or 2x4 thats bigger than the outside doorway. Then have someone operate the winch as you stand beside the bike and guide it up the stairs. All in all once the set up is ready it should take all of 5 minuets to get it up and out.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
At one time I had a Bonneville and nowhere to rebuild it. Granted, it was a lighter bike but it only took 3 of us to get it up the stairs into my apartment above Radio Shack, where it spent a year in my bedroom being a laundry hamper. Getting it down however, was another story. Gravity is a harsh mistress and I had to replace about a third of the balusters...

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LMAO yea, going down is FAR harder than going up lol

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Awww I was kind of hoping her would have it up the stairs by now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well did you get it up? Don't keep us hanging. Unless you're lying at the foot of the stairs crushed under the bike.:D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only if she is a large wench! :haha:
Otherwise a winch is a better choice! :serious:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Yep, we speak a variety of languages here..........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Ha! You guys are friggin hilarious. So the bike has been soaking up the sun for about a week now (sorry for the late reply, I don't smart phone and the weather has been nice, plus New Brunswick has a sweet beer sale on right now because of a recent court case involving a gentleman bringing in cheap beer from Quebec, which he won. New Brunswick judge throws out cross-border booze limits - New Brunswick - CBC News

Didn't reply to everyone but I have read all them and it gave me the confidence to just do it. I ended up buying a tow strap from Canadian Tire, hooking one end to the tree and the other to the tow hook on our Chevy Tracker. I steadied the bike and my girlfriend and her buddy backed up the truck (the tow hook is on the front end) It was one of the more backyard git er done type things I've done in a while. Yes, the bottom of the bike caught on the top step. Small square of torn carpet but pretty decent otherwise. It wasn't easy but not as hard as what I thought it was going to be. I had to remove a railing from the step outside but other than that I didn't even take the door off. The Strap, as opposed to chain or cable, was key, it didn't "bite" into the top step on its way down. We took it step by step and only once did she jerk it a little hard.

The day after getting it out I had a new front tire put on it and had the shop lube my cables while it was there. I knew my throttle tube was in bad shape but after the shop had it apart it snapped in two the next day. So I've been out of commision for about a week now waiting for parts. Its been five years, whats another week.

Long winded, normally not like me but I feel I owe you guys for all the clever responses. The forum is one of the reasons I've kept this bike so long.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Standing ovation ! I so much enjoyed this post ... thanks :) " Stairway to heaven" by Led Zeppelin, playing softly in the back ground.

Reactions: Vance and OCR

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Perfect, glad you got it up without any issues. Now, just to help out others on the forum, can you take it back down and try removing it again using;

1 - steel cable winch
2 - just people pushing
3 - riding it up
4 - Helium bag assist

I know it sound like a lot of work but I know many would love to see how these different methods compare :)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts