Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
That story begins as, hold my beer, you ain't gonna believe this.............

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd ride it out, deflate the rear tire a little for traction and make sure you have a friend over to hold beer and cell phone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Someone likely suggested this? but just in case not

Attach the bike TO a pallet and drag the pallet up on planks or lots of 2x4s .... Put diagonal braces on the pallet.......and then use come-along or winch or block and tackle.

You will want to fairlead the hauling line so as not to ruin/chafe the top step/concrete. You should(must IMO) include a safety line that is kept reasonable taut in case the hauling device fails .
Can all be done by one person . A careful person going slow....and going up and down the stairs alot
Protect the walls of your stairwell by :
blankets,sheets of thin panelling or whatever...
and /or by filling in the area around the rails and pallet so the pallet cannot shift or turn close enough to the walls to hurt them .
Move the padding as you go

Two or more people is better of course if they all understand what they are doing.

A car or truck with blocks at wheels-you can't be too careful-can serve as a conveneniently placed "anchor" for the come along and safety line.
or hire a tow truck to haul it up for you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
cardboard the stairs, get the bike on cardboard. then they'll just slide across each other and up the stairs with a few friends. It's how I moved mine from the back yard, up the patio, and back down into the garage. My brakes were seized, so sliding with cardboard it was! Dolly wheels were too small and kept getting stuck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Formica remnants are really smooth also......

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Most important part of this endeavor is to have a friend filming it with his phone, and hope it's a very boring video. ;-)

Reactions: TheWiscoKid

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Maybe you should drop the engine, that's half of it if you include the exhaust. The rolling chassis will then be a piece of cake and the engine can go up on a two-wheeler.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Maybe you should drop the engine, that's half of it if you include the exhaust. The rolling chassis will then be a piece of cake and the engine can go up on a two-wheeler.
Been there too but it easily eats up 2 hours or more. A few friends and a case of beer are cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thank You everyone for the ideas. Really don't want to break it down so Evel Knievel it may be. My dispatcher at work offered to help and hes a very large guy. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Seriously? I pulled builds out of my basement with a much steeper angle by myself. Run a 2x6 with 1x4 side rails up the stairs; Brace the 'rail' with several 2x4s so it won't slide down. I bolted a chain to the front ends to provide a clamp point. 50.00 winch from Harbor freight with remote and I pulled those suckers out with no prob. The winch was hooked to my trailer and a 4" pipe was set on the top step for the cable to ride. Or you could fill the tires with helium.

·
Registered
83 Posts
.. had the same problem awhile back with a 77' Xs650. I got a board, rope and a couple of 20 year olds. I'm at the top with one of them on the rope and the other at the bottom, who mostly kept it straight. Went smoothly... cost me one large garbage pizza. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Holy crap, you guys are sure making this hard.

Fill the tires with air, make sure the brakes are free and that you are in neutral, and one or two friends. One in front pulling, balancing and holding the front brake when needed, and one or two guys in back.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I moved a HEAVY wood stove with a guy once and we got it on on the planks at the bottom, Then we used a series of floor jacks to raise it up, cutting the incline and reducing the force needed to move it. It worked pretty slick. Near the top it was about level.

·
Registered
552 Posts
it seems even 4 smallish guys could pick the bike up and ccarry it up no problem with the right steel pipe stuck through the frame

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mostly, people get away with stuff, and that's cool.
4 smallish guys could pick the bike up and ccarry it up no problem
sure, unless one falls down...500/4=125# each 500/3= 166# each....so as to advice, I've seen "sideways" and "advice" tends to careful. Avoid risk-save your luck for riding.

Might be stuff about "piano moving" you can look up..You should understand exactly how it can go. Watch out for "take charge" guys...they might be great, they might not, but whichever, they can go home after without consequence.
Do you rent? or is it your house? got insurance?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are strapped for assistance:

Inflated tires, a secures plank on stairs, working rear brakes, a good battery, a safety wedge for rear wheel.

remove the spark plugs, tank, seat, luggage to lighten and provide clearance.....put bike in first and use starter to help push/drive it up plank....20-30 sec at a time with a couple mins. rest, have an assistant to wedge rear wheel while stopped on incline. I have loaded onto trailer with this technique but not up stairs.

If you have more help then Im with "woodeye" just utilize them with a rope and pushers.

·
Registered
24,445 Posts
easy

take 13000 cubic feet of helium some plastic a few rolls of duct tape......

remember it takes 250 cubic feet to lift ten pounds so weigh everything and adjust the helium we dont want a repeat of "up"

·
Registered
227 Posts
easy

take 13000 cubic feet of helium some plastic a few rolls of duct tape......

remember it takes 250 cubic feet to lift ten pounds so weigh everything and adjust the helium we dont want a repeat of "up"
Or they could use hydrogen and only need 11500 cf!

No smoking during that operation though, use the Hindenburg for an example of what could go wrong

21 - 40 of 70 Posts