Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new member here. I posted on the old forum a couple times years ago. I'm just trying to get my bike back on the road after a long 5 year layup. I haven't tried starting it yet because I first need to get it out of my storage area (basement) and up a flight of stairs. Anybody have experience with this? I talked to a tow truck driver who was on the side of the road this morning and he said dispatch would probably refuse the job. I have a friend with a four wheeler with a winch but I do not want to damage the front end pulling on it. Any tips/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Me and a former cruiserweight champ got it down there but gravity was on our side.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Ai ya.......

Consider this. The stairs must support the bike (500 lb) plus at least 2 burly friends (200+ lb each), quick math puts at least 900 lbs on the stairs. Can the stairs support the load???

Frankly, I'd suggest you break it into manageable pieces, such as Fork w/wheel, engine, rear wheel, frame.

Be smart, be safe.

As an alternate, you could rig up a block and tackle with at least 2 line parts pulling the bike. Tie onto the headstock, place a ramp on the stairs. Put the 2 burly friends pulling on the pulley rope up top, you steady the bike up the ramp.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Couple 2 x 10's and a come along.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Modern refrigerators weigh 250, and older ones weigh a lot more. Nobody thinks twice about shoving them up a flight of stairs.

I would remove the easy things (tank, seat), hire a couple of big guys (as in movers) and go for it. You have the advantage of having big wheels on it.

Without looking at my bike, I would think that you could put a rope on the main frame to get at least some pulling into it. The tank would need to be removed, but you should remove it anyway. As Driven says, you need movers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to get my Honda CB 550 Four up my basement stairs myself using a cum-along winch. It wasn't a breeze, but I was able to do it without any serious injury to me or the bike. Might work for you too if you have something sturdy to attach it to top of the stairs or outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Come along is easy solution. You will need at least one friend, preferable two to make sure bike stays upright on the way up. If you don't have anything good to anchor to you could attach come along to a car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Turn her on and give it some gas!

More seriously though, I'd winch it up the stairs. I'd put the strap through the forks above the lower triple, then around the neck of the bike. One of you keep it stable, the other on the winch.

·
Registered
24,445 Posts
if yiou use a winch you will need something to act as a fairlead or whatever you want to call it

where the cable bends to go down the stairs it will cut the stair case up (damhik) as it pulls on the downward angle

so you need something for the cable to run on safely or you will suffer the wrath of "she who must never know"

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Make sure the brakes have not seized on you while it was in storage or ten guys couldn't push it. I would use a series of boards fastened together to make it an easy push and then use a rope and winch/come along to pull it up. If the front brake works then one person could support or stop it while the other one winches. As Murray said, be sure your rope/chain/cable has a straight shot, otherwise you will leave some serious marks or scrapes.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
A borrowed plank and 3 friends, 2 of you pushing and 2 pulling. Where there is a will there is a way! Hiring the job to pros will leave you feeling emasculated. Your are a MOTORCYCLIST dammit!

·
Registered
905 Posts
A borrowed plank and 3 friends, 2 of you pushing and 2 pulling. Where there is a will there is a way! Hiring the job to pros will leave you feeling emasculated. Your are a MOTORCYCLIST dammit!
Not only a MOTORCYCLIST but a CANADIAN MOTORCYCLIST! Oops, did I yell too loud, sorry.

I think the winch, ramp, top step protector, and burly helper idea will work fine.

This may be slightly off topic, but it reminds me of my task of moving a 600 pound piano out of a cabin onto my trailer that had no road access directly to it. On my own, I used car jacks to lift it onto a dolly, then with the help of gravity and friction, eased it gently down the ramp. Nothing was level, everything a little rickety.

The next day, I had a little help :D

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
If you can get a couple of friends it should stair climb pretty easy, one to steer and keep it upright, one behind to take the weight and one up top pulling. I myself would use a winch, as its the safest and easiest way, as you only need one person to just keep it upright while the winch does all the work. As Murrayf stated you will have to protect the top most stair, as a metal winch cable will eat deep very fast. I have done this (not with a bike, a really heavy piece of equipment weighing twice what a CX comes in at) before, and a simple chunk of angle iron (used 2" x 2" x 1/8") over the stair edge (used duct tape to hold it in place) will make sure no evidence is left, which was important to me as my family jewels were at stake lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is directly across from the top of your Basement door? My Basement door is in a straight line with the side door on my one story Ranch Style house. So if I had your problem, I could just back my old F-150 up to the side door, hook my come along to my trailer hitch, and have my 320 pd Son and one of his equally big friends haul it up for me. I definitely would NOT try it by yourself. At 61 yrs old, and after 9 yrs in a Army Combat Unit, I've learned the hard way that there is no such thing as being "too safe". In fact, when ever I have to haul ANYTHING in my truck, I ALWAYS use a extra tie down strap both left to right and front to back. So that if the 1st one breaks or were to pop lose, I'd have a second one in place. As a Truck Driver for the last 36 yrs now, I have seen many things come off a trailer or truck at highway speeds. It just is not worth what could/would happen if things went wrong. If you try moving it by yourself and something goes wrong, you could end up with a broken back/neck, or dead. Worth calling a friend , or even a In-Law. Just be careful. You won't be able to ride it if it falls on your leg and breaks it!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I've actually helped a friend do this with a heavier Hardley once. Two aluminum motorcycle ramps on the stairs, a rope around the forks and a vans' trailer hitch, one person on each side, and up and out she went.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would do as suggested plus a block wedge to stick behind the rear tire as an added safety for when you stop...my son and I moved a tow behind generator up a hill once (and never will again lol), I would push a bit then he would block the wheels, take a break and repeat.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I want to say I did this by myself once and it sucked. 2-3 people is a good idea. Two people should be able to hold it as another pushes or pulls in a wheel rolling direction. Using some 2x10 would make short work of it. Even shorter if you have an Evil Keneivel complex. Don't forget most of the time he broke a lot of bones.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I prefer the start it up and ride out method!
Works best after several "beverages"! :p

1 - 20 of 70 Posts