Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying boost.

I purchased a crashed cx500t with mainly exterior fairing damage.

The ignition and key are gone. I have a the gas tank which is complete but has the gas cap on it.

I am looking for suggestions on how to remove the gas cap. Preferable without destroying it and or damaging the gas tank.

Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You might be able to get the key code from the helmet lock. I can't remember if the number is on the barrel.
If not, you may be able to get the key code from a Honda dealer using your VIN.

Falling that, take your tank to a locksmith.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If memory serves it's stamped where its easily visible on th helmet lock.

I collect Honda keys they come in handy.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Remove fuel sending unit. Use flashlight to look at 3 digit code on underside of gas cap lock. Then go to locksmith with 3 digit code and they will cut a key... Very easy...

PK

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
The ignition and key are gone. I have a the gas tank which is complete but has the gas cap on it.

I am looking for suggestions on how to remove the gas cap. Preferable without destroying it and or damaging the gas tank.

Suggestions anyone?
Unless there's something special about this model that sets it apart from other Honda's, it's quicker to pick the gas cap lock than to go to the locksmith. Here's a snipet from a write-up I did the first time I tried it:

On-line tutorials tell us that you need two tools, a tension wrench and a pick. I made these out of bits of wire I have on hand. I quickly realized the 1” handle on the tension wrench wasn’t convenient, so I tied a 4” copper rod to it and soldered to give a handle that’s long enough without being too bendy.

The two handles on the pick (loop and lever) give good three axis control. The pick bar needs to be .035” thick. Any smaller and it won’t have enough strength. Any thicker and it won’t fit in the slot. I made mine from .060” phosphor bronze wire hammered to .035” thick. It’s quite strong, and springy too.

Key Tools.jpg

Using tension bar and pick, I opened the lock using a combination of the rake and jiggle methods. In the photo, I’m holding them both with one hand, but that’s just to free up my camera hand. This was a two-handed job. It took me three sessions to get it open. In the first two sessions, ten minutes of trying yielded no results, so I took a break. In the third session, it popped open right away. Sheer luck, but what is luck but persistence in disguise?.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You are going to need the key, so why just pick the lock? Get the key made to avoid any damage to the irreplaceable Honda gas cap...

The red/white/blue winged cap on the CXT is not easily found or replaced..

PK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts