Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a GL in a tiny little town- was shocked to see it sitting out on the street. I thought (it being a holiday weekend and all) that they were there for maybe a BBQ or graduation party... SOMETHING. Well whenever I've had to go through that town, it's still there, obviously it's parking spot is on the street. I've slower down to a near stop in the street, hoping to be able to see whose house it might belong to- no luck. I want to leave them a message to let them know about this site and have thought about writing a note, putting it in a little ziploc to protect it from rain, etc and taping it to the windshield.... that's what I would do if it were a regular car with glass windows. We don't have glass, but I want to let them know about the site- the bike looks close to what mine did before the change of paint, etc... I'm really excited that there is another SilverWing owner so close to me- but how do I let them know? I know I would not be the nicest person to start talking to if I happened to look out the window and see someone I don't know that close to my bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. There was a GL500 that I saw parked in the parking lot at work but it was always there when I arrived and left before I did, so I never met the owner. If it was parked in half a parking space I would park in the other half so I can't imagine he didn't see mine. I would always hope he left a note but never knew what to say if I were to leave one. Makes me feel like a pansie not to have done it know that my seasonal job is more or less over.

The other guy might not have any idea what he has, I say leave a little note!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate the unknown. I'm leaving a note- there's no question to that..... but HOW. I don't want to put tape on the plexiglass we have, nor anywhere there is paint- and I don't know how often that bike moves, either..... it could very well be out on the street in the same spot because it doesn't run! I'm hardly ever in that town, and it's in the same spot when I pass it... so I want it in a conspicuous area where the owner comes outside and sees it......

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paper+ pen+ ziploc+ tape.....

Go figure I never thought about the headlight- but if it faces the street, once again it's the issue of will the owner see it if they live in one of the houses on the same side. It's parked not specifically in front of one house or another- it's between houses, but almost across from another house. The house it's almost across from is closer to its neighboring house than the ones across the street are

X

X

X

X

Like that- it could belong to any of those houses because it's across from the closer ones, and in front (and between) the ones further apart....

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
Put the note between the seat and the tank. That way there is no tape.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
the 'X's didn't show up right..... ugh

DMK, I think I have an idea of what you were trying to say. Here's a suggestion. Put the note advising them of this board or whatever you want to say, use the ziplock but force it into the crack between the gas tank & the front of the seat. Leave plenty exposed so the rider will be sure to notice it. Of course, all this is predicated on the fact that you won't get arrested for messing with someone else's bike!! Just kidding.

Gene

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd do as Larry and Gene said. Or if I was more of a social person I'd knock on any one of the houses around there like Raf said. If they were at all social they would tell you who's it is and prolly take a message from you. If they were like I usually am they wouldn't answer the door. Either way You'd still be a good human being for trying. That is nice.

The other day when I left work I was shocked to see a 79 custom parked right along side my bike! It really made me feel happy seeing it! I wanted to leave them my number or email but didn't have paper. They haven't parked around me since. I do have paper and a pencil in a pocket should I see them again. This is a goodly sized bike parking area that was mostly empty. They parked right along side me intentionally. Our bikes are cool.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd do as Larry and Gene said. Or if I was more of a social person I'd knock on any one of the houses around there like Raf said. If they were at all social they would tell you who's it is and prolly take a message from you. If they were like I usually am they wouldn't answer the door. Either way You'd still be a good human being for trying. That is nice.

The other day when I left work I was shocked to see a 79 custom parked right along side my bike! It really made me feel happy seeing it! I wanted to leave them my number or email but didn't have paper. They haven't parked around me since. I do have paper and a pencil in a pocket should I see them again. This is a goodly sized bike parking area that was mostly empty. They parked right along side me intentionally. Our bikes are cool.

I'm not that social. Troy gives me crap all the time about how I can be at work all day long and talk to people like it's nothing- I won't go to someones house though to ask. If someone was outside, I might pause to ask if it's theirs.... but nobody has been outside when I've driven past

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
my wife is the same way i think it has something to do with the sexs men dont care one way or the other but women do and dont like asking anyone any thing

my wife broke down one day in her car and she forgot her cell phone at home but she didnt go any were just sat at the car and waited for some one to show up and ask if she needed help she didnt try to flag some one down or nothing but any way she calls me up and i come rescue her....all in all she killed her car (stick) and the sensor for the clutch peddle came loose a 10 minute fix boy oh boy women

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I keep my cell phone with me- and if something happens I make sure I have enough $ to walk to a pay phone and call for help. I will try to figure out what is wrong before anything else.... if it's a situation of NEEDING help, I'll ask.... if it's not that dire, I will figure it out myself. The boyfriend drives a truck so there are plenty of times he couldn't help me if he wanted to. Knowing that.... I usually try to figure my own stuff out- but this is different.,.... I don't NEED to let him know about the site.. I just really really really want to

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
DMK, I agree with you. I would not want my wife, daughers or granddaughters knocking on doors by themselves. If your bf was with you OK but sadly to say, in this day & time you never know what or who may answer that door. You could be knocking on the door of a new meth lab and get yourself killed! I realize that is extreme but you just never know what may happen. When I was in college I used to sell enclyopedias. One day I knocked on a door of a house where I had an appointment. A very large, very angry, very unkempt man jerked the door open and demanded, "What the hell do you want?" I said nothing, turned on my heel and walked off the porch! Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

Gene

·
Registered
266 Posts
I left a hand written note on a cx500 deluxe. I left my name and cell number. Never heard from the person.

IU have been wanting to try this method that I thought of but haven't had the chance yet. Maybe you can try it.

NOTE: If you want immediate results, paste that rectangular bright orange sticker to the side of the tank. The sticker should say in black lettering something about illegally parked, abandoned vehicle, motorcycle will be towed at owners expense contact city of (whatever) at. Then leave your cell phone number.

Be prepared for a phone call within a day. Also you must answer your phone in a business like manner. The person may be a little bit irrate but thats okay play it off. He doesn't know who you. Tell them that a new officer was hired and made a mistake and that you will send someone out right away to remove the sticker. At this point you can go meet him and he'll be waiting for the local city to show. And you can make friends with him.

If you want I can send you a sticker. lmao

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dakota.....

If it is a GL with the fairing, look at the left side of the fairing for the pocket that is there...If it has the fabric cover it should have two strips of fabric running across the cover.....slip the baggie w/note under the straps....won't blow away and will be seen as soon as the owner gets on the bike....

Greg

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
also dakota dont get upset if you never get a call i left a note on a very beautiful cx500c it was red and just down right sexy if i do say so and i never got a call 3 days after i left the note a friend and i went to the junk yard for parts for his truck and i saw it there all cut up i almost started to cry

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OR..... (and I've SERIOUSLY contemplated this) I can ride my own out there (when it's put back together) and just park next to/ in front of that one (honestly, he might have 2... I just noticed the one cause it looked like mine did...) pop it in neutral, and rev it several times... hoping he/ she/ they hear a bike that sounds like theirs, and come outside... LMAO.... I'm so terrible about being outgoing face to face... LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.