Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a tutorial on checking and fixing the cam chain tensioner, but what if you have to switch it out? I haven't found much info either online either on taking the tensioner out and switching with a new one. I could do it, but tips and suggestions would help greatly.. Am I missing something on the site that explains this, any advise would be great, I just got a 79' cx 500 custom, for 200 bucks and it hasn't ran for 4 years, so I am looking to do a tune up and look into other things that need to be checked in order to get this beast running properly.. so far he said it ran perfect until the cam tensioner sounded like it needed to be fixed.. thanks guys!!

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Download the manual from my signature line.

It involves dropping the engine, taking the water pump impeller off, removing the rear cover, And then using the right m20x1.5 bolt to remove the rotor in the engine. Then the tensioner is right there. It's not really that hard.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
A few pics here may help http://photobucket.com/images/bessie%20triple%20bypass/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ16

Cheers..............Keith......

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If the tensioner isn't broken (just looks worn) then the chain is probably stretched as well.

How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
20 k on it.. so sounds about right eh for it to go out? Much thanks to you guys for making this a lot easier on me.. I am just about to get everything ready so I can do this and do not want screw it up, but it sounds easy to do so thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Broadly speaking 20k seems a bit early for the chain and tensioner

to be knackerd.

Its your bike and you do what you want of course but

what make you suspect the tensioner needs replacing?

Are you just going to do it anyway as part of a general

service so you know its done?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Broadly speaking 20k seems a bit early for the chain and tensioner

to be knackerd.

Its your bike and you do what you want of course but

what make you suspect the tensioner needs replacing?

Are you just going to do it anyway as part of a general

service so you know its done?
agree 100%....what makes you want to go in that direction?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the guy I am buying it from says that he went to a technician and said it needed to be changed, BUT!!! I will just adjust it and check the chain out just to be safe, and I guess while I am adjusting the chain tensioner I will adjust the valves as well and do all the other fun things with trying to get it back to life.. thanks guys, I had no clue I thought that after 20 k that the tensioner will have to be changed, not adjusted.. I will just check it out and let you know.. thanks! what else should I do to be sure this thing runs fine? clean the carb? this thing hasn't ran in three to four years, but he said it ran fine till the sound came and he got it checked out.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Mickey as far as techicians go

"If they ainht got a grey beard down to their pants

their opinion aint worth squat"

(my attempt at American colloquialisms)

At this late stage, 30 something years after the last bike was produced.

we have to assess each bike by its merits rather than make assumptions

and the combined owners knowledge here has more gravitas than any tech with a fiche

however well meaning.

"We're way off the reservation now hombre"

(Further pathetic attempts at American colloquialisms)

"We're not in Kansas any more"

( hmm... vaguely pertinent but going off track a wee bit)

"I need your clothes your boots and ypur motorcycle"

( sorry got a bit carried away)

" the truth? you cant handle the truth !"

( I'd better stop now)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I must say thank you for the clever sayings, I will look at it through the timing inspection port with a mirror. I am getting the bike this weekend and I will post up pictures of the girl.. Can't wait, if I am lucky I might be able to get it running.. sweet!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.