Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my brother and I went for a nice 50 mile back country ride. A nice loop that ends in a pleasant highway blast home. This is when it happened.

I was enjoying the highway section following along, as a nice wide 4 lane section appears. This is when the ex racer in me comes out. Quietly I slip the CX into the voluminous draft of my brother's 2010 V7. Slowly my speed begins to creep up ............. patience ..... patience I've been here before. Then as I get nearer to his tail pipe my bike starts to gain quickly on the Guzzi. Then with out warning I pounce!!

All 500 CC's blazing I pull out beside, eyes lock in steely gaze as I make the universal 'head nod'.

It go time!

Like some B grade movie scene both bikes groan forward but the CX holds it's ground firm. Then, what is this? The CX is pulling away! As the indicated speed reaches 145 I begin soundly distance from the Wheezing V7 and by 150 its all over. The 750 is left gasping for air on the side of the highway and the proud CX is declared the winner.

31 years old and still kick'n ass on the young guns ............

Peace.

Owen

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
OK, I had to admit, it made me smile.... but I don't have any huge need for high speeds on 2 wheels.

4 wheels? OK. Even then it's not an all the time thing.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nice, I know on the strip she'll tear the 883's a new one, but those are girls bikes, no offense Dakota.. I'm waiting to line up with my friends 1200, but he's still a rookie with only a few weeks on, so he had to buy an 07 Harley sportster 1200 to learn on, very smart.... That way if he messes it up, it's just a Harley, our Honda's are safe
I did get to take her for a spin, and I'll admit, 1st gear had some go, but after that, I was rather unimpressed.... I think the launch she'll pull away, but after that, it's hard to say... Now once I get the GL650 going, then it will be closer, or I'll dust him quicker, we'll find out, unless the end of the world is this weekend like it's supposed to be, which it'd better not be, I have a lot of life to live, at least let me get a few good rides on the ol 650 first!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good story Owen. Are you going to Peachland on Sunday to WORLD OF WHEELS ? Stop by and see the guys from BCCMC . I will be there with 3 bikes including my CX650T.

Cheers Bofud

PS will post photos for all members here to see.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Nice, I know on the strip she'll tear the 883's a new one, but those are girls bikes, no offense Dakota.. ........

unless the end of the world is this weekend like it's supposed to be, which it'd better not be, I have a lot of life to live, at least let me get a few good rides on the ol 650 first!!!!!

careful cdyoung.... I'd never suggest underestimating a woman LOL

and BTW- it's the rapture that's tomorrow, the end of the universe is 5 months off still! LOL

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Great story.I've had many similar.My M8's 76 750 Bonneville doesn't stand a chance

Apart from the Nightrods or a Buell there's not a Harley going that can beat me on my country roads.Same goes for Viragos

They are all right in a straight line but my Cxs accelerate and corner way better than they look for a high bike and pull up the hills like a supercharged Choo Choo train

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ah ok, so if I'm not a true christian I still have a chance to ride? Hmm... Almost tempting to change my ways.... Although knowing my luck, I'll get everything I need but 1 crucial piece and have it all together, then find out I'm missing that piece, and will be 1 part from riding when the world blows up, or whatever it's going to do...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love having a good old razz but not on the CX, its my Sunday rider, steady eddy kinda thing.. I've had it up to 85 but it ain't what i bought it for.. I've got my FJ for speedy adventures..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great story adventure....reminds me of myself, 33 and still feeling like a kid sometimes!

I love taking my CX up to the mountains for some real twisties. The best part of the day is when you go flying by some crotch rocket that has a 42" extended swingarm and can't even make it around a hairpin without taking up both lanes.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Great story adventure....reminds me of myself, 33 and still feeling like a kid sometimes!

I love taking my CX up to the mountains for some real twisties. The best part of the day is when you go flying by some crotch rocket that has a 42" extended swingarm and can't even make it around a hairpin without taking up both lanes.

I hear that

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This wasn't about any need for speed, it was about two brothers having a little fun. I got a stable full of 100+ HP sport bikes and raced professionally for 10 years. I have more than enough experience with speed, I was poking my finger in my older bro's eye.

The 31 years old was in reference to my bike, being a 79 ( yes I see my math is off .......... ) and his being a 2010, I currently sit at the 42 year old mark with my older bro being 45.

The CX has reminded my why I got into motorcycling to begin with. The joy of the riding and the travel. The ability to roll from pavement to dirt and back has been such a liberating thing, I don't know why I'd not done this years ago. The adventure continues long after the tarmac ends.

Hey Bofud, you'll know exactly where I went. I came down from Kelowna via Chute lake road into Naramata. What a great loop! I'll try to come down on Sunday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts