Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt the caliper, put on a braided steel line, and the master cylinder was takin apart and cleaned.

I didn't put new parts in the MC since it seemed to be working fine after i cleaned it and got all the 27 yr old crap out.

But my question is i can barely move that lever at all. The bike doesn't seem to have a problem with it seizing up but i swear everytime that i go out to the shed and move the bike the lever seems to be more rock solid. Brakes don't ever seize or have the sound of pads rubbing but it makes me wonder.

I opened the bleeder and it didn't shoot any brake fluid out, just trickled out like its supposed to without pressure.

The ninja's doesn't feel like that but its MC its a hell of a lot newer and possibly different. The CB750's doesn't feel as stiff but it has a rubber brake hose.

But should i replace the MC or is it just stiff because of the steel hose?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Welcome to the world of the SS brake lines......I had a brand new M/C, calipers rebuilt with new pads and a new SS line....had the STIFF lever like you so I decided to put back the old rubber brake line and I once again have the nice "feel" to the brake lever...3 months later and my front brake system is still working great with the old rubber line.

I would first try to BLEED the lines the proper way to see if ANY air is in there....and honestly if you can afford it I'd spend the money on a new M/C as a new one isn't much more than a rebuild kit.....THEN if you STILL have a stiff lever put your old rubber brake line back on and see if that solves your issue.

However I'd DEFINATELY either buy a rebuild kit for it or get a new M/C before you go any further.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
What you have is a very nice brake system now with the braided steel lines. With the stock rubber lines there is some give to them when you put pressure on the brakes. They expand inside. That's why they feel soft. The new lines don't have any give to them.

Enjoy the feel of a great brake system. Just get used to it for while and everything else will feel sluggish in comparison.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I like it hard. It's better than a soggy spongy mess.

Immediate response is always more comfortable than gripping something that feels dead in your hand.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahahahah

Well if this is normal that's fine. Kinda reminds me of a 70's muscule car with manual brakes. As in no brake booster.

The brakes work awesome, just wanted to make sure evrything sounded fine

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you want to spend the money, buying a lever with a dog leg, or a "power blade" type, will help with the feel.  I did the same thing and had the same feeling, my standard lever just didn't move enough for me and installing a new, bent lever helped things a lot.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think you guys with all due respect of course kind of missed out on something CX Lover said in his original post to this thread.

He said:

"i swear everytime that i go out to the shed and move the bike the lever seems to be more rock solid."

So I THINK what he's saying here is that it seems to get stiffer and stiffer every time he goes out to use his bike or pull the brake lever....that's what I read into that comment anyway.

Which is why I mentioned getting a new M/C as possibly all the fluid isn't returning when he lets the lever go ? Is this NOT what we recommend to most of the guys when re-doing their front brakes ? Sometimes cleaning it out just doesn't cut it "enough".

Make any sense ?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Rickbert you are right but now more questions have to be asked.

Are you sure the small hole in the mc is clear and that the other one is too.

If not fluid won't return to the mc as easy.

I did once run a 1/32 drill bit down the small hole with the insides removed but I should have used one half that size.

But it did work

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea they are clean. I ran some extra guitar wires through the refill port and then I used a welding tip cleaning wire to make sure the port was cleaned out. I also wire brushed the spiral piston thing and checked the rubber cups for damage.

I only mess with the bike every few days since I have no tires and live with the gf. So it could be I need a new one but not sure. Last time it was this stiff the bike was hard to roll or totally siezed and opening the bleeder would shoot brake fluid.

I think its normal but it could be I just am not used to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.