Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow!

maybe mine is worth a few quid now then! Its in my sisters shed with a SORN (statutory off road notice?) - its kind of registered but not on the road.

(and is a custom so its not off-road either)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
similar figures for the GL500.and i have 2 down here,

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That seems to be remarkably low numbers.

AFAIK there are a LOT more than that, still on the road in little Sweden. But UK bikes probably live a much tougher life than most bikes here and therefore vanish from the roads earlier....

Some years ago (6-7) I got registration statistics from the Swedish reg. auth. There were more than 740 of the standard model (all years), out of around 1000 sold (if I´m correctly informed). Similar for Custom and Euro.

500 Turbo were still 86 (out of just over 100 sold).

I have a hard time believing that those UK figures are correct. Somewhere I´ve seen a figure of over 60000 CX-es sold in the UK. Hard to imagine that virtually all are gone by now. In Sweden just over 3000 were sold, all models (again if I´m correctly informed).

More than half of them still in the registers - 6 years ago. Of course they are fewer today...

But what do I know??

Sture

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sheet says there's only one CX500 A on the road.Well that must be mine then<grin>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

I know of at least two others in my City both 1980s

PS

I have another one and a half in my garage

I also think that the numbers seem very low. But I checked the numbers for other classics I know very well, like AJS/Matchless, Velocette, BSA and Norton, and these seem very close to the official club figures. So I dunno. But also note that these are taxed and insured bikes, not on SORN. There could easily be a number of CX's running around without tax & insurance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes I had a look on that site after watching Top Gear, I didn't realise it did bikes until last night.

I was also surprised by the low number of CX's left, and even more surprised by the numbers of CBX750FE (my other bike) left. 115 on the road, 229 SORN.

I must check some other vehicles I used to own.

Curt

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Dont know how accurate those figures are but

I rarely see another CX on the road and doubt theres that many still in use

I cant beleive there were 60000 originally Sture, the roads would have been full of them!

From my observations and experience in the last 10 years

many in the UK are hobby bikes and not daily riders/hacks.

Most are kept in garages where they are cosseted and fussed over

and only taken out on high days and holidays and to the odd meet and show.

Often by trailer sadly.

I'm cynical and biased of course I dont do original, shiny or shows where bikes are

put on pedestals and worshipped.

I'm more of a kick the tyres, 'wipe the bird shit off the seat then

get and ride the f***er' type myself.

I still have lots of fun on my CX but when it finally falls to more peices

than I can put back together I'll get something else.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I still have lots of fun on my CX but when it finally falls to more peices

than I can put back together I'll get something else.

Best make space for it in your coffin then.MuuuHaaaHaaaaa

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree entirely, I'm having heaps of fun on my bike.

It keeps up with the guy's on modern machinery, most of the time.

And if it's lucky it'll get a wash weekly, if it's been raining. Otherwise it's a wipe down with an oily rag.

I put 500km a week on my bike, that's what they are made for.

Curt

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Reg,

Yes , 60000 seems much, but that´s what I believe I saw, somewhere, many years ago.

Germany (West) had > 40000 CX/GL:s sold - many thousands of them still registered. Very similar number of inhabitants. I thought motorcycles were more a UK thing, so found no reason to doubt that figure.

Be as it will with that - my figures for Sweden were total numbers of registered bikes. Not necessarily on the road. Probably the same as SORN bikes included. I have two of my CX-es on the road, taxed and inspected - two are "SORN" but otherwise ready for the road.

Right now there are 17 CX-es for sale on the biggest Swedish online sale listing. Earlier this summer they were twice as many. All on the road.

Sture

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.