Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's what happened...

on the previous board i had a list of things i wanted on the buy/sell board. a member (who has been around a while) contacted me to say he might have some of what i was looking for. i wasn't in a huge hurry so it took maybe 2 weeks to work out the deal. on june 29th i sent $46.00 for the parts. again, 'cause i wasn't in a hurry i told the seller that they didn't have to rush to the post right away. if it took a day or two i'd be fine. just let me know when and how you send the parts so i know to start looking for them.

well, a week or so goes by and i don't hear anything so i contact the seller. they say they haven't sent them out and will send them out in a day or two. by this point i'm going on vacation (july 8th) and tell them to wait until friday or saturday (9th or 10th) to send them so they won't be on my porch with no one to bring them in. i get back an affirmative.

since i still hadn't heard anything about them actually being sent i sent a pm (about the 15th) to find out if and how they had been sent. about the 17th or so i got a response that some things had happened financially and they didn't have the money to send the parts but would get them out as soon as they could. now i'm an understanding person and don't need the parts right now so i decided to work with it.

about the 21st i sent a reply to that pm just checking in to see how things were progressing. at this point i have heard nothing. i know it makes things a little tougher since the site change... but that was just yesterday.

so, back to the original question... how long before you call someone out? i understand things happen and that people can have tough times so i don't want to possibly embarrass someone if they are working as hard as they can to keep up their end of the deal. but i don't want others to get taken. advice?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That really sucks. But in my personal opinion it doesn't sound like they are trying to set up a scam or take people and not follow through with their end of the deal. It just sounds like they might have hit a rough spot and found a better use for your 46 bucks. So I personally would hold off on the defamation for a while. However, if you notice them selling more stuff and you still haven't gotten your parts, go for it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Dean I waited on a deal that went south for about one year. I finally contacted pay pal. And guess what I never heard back from pay pal either. I'm sorry that it happened. What were the parts you were looking for. If I have them I'll send them to you as a gift. Just please don't be a set of carbs.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
For me communication is key. If someone is on the forum and active and not returning emails then that's a sign but since the person has been in contact with you then I would say it's a bit different.

In Joel's case the guy was a bag of excuses although he is a good guy.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
For me communication is key. If someone is on the forum and active and not returning emails then that's a sign but since the person has been in contact with you then I would say it's a bit different.

In Joel's case the guy was a bag of excuses although he is a good guy.

Sorry Don, but I wouldnt call someone who takes your money and a month/year later still hasnt forwarded you the parts a "good guy".

IMO,You take the money, you send the parts, no excuses, take the time to do the deal right.

Just because someone is a member here, does not mean they are an angel or have the right to take advantage of someones money.

46 bucks is 46 bucks.

Time will tell, but I'd say time is up.

Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
It just sounds like they might have hit a rough spot and found a better use for your 46 bucks.

I don't care what kind rough spot I might hit, I would never STEAL someone else's money like that. If this is indeed what is happening, it is nothing less than outright theft. I am hopeful that there is some other explanation. Like another poster said, "communication is the key".

·
Registered
810 Posts
Credibility is really tough to get. Too bad for the person with your money. Sorry you don't have the parts.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Back in the day, ebay used to give you enough info to contact the seller yourself- and I had a seller I called after nearly 2 months not hearing anything back. They were a little surprised to say the least. As I'm sure most of you have figured out from reading my replies/ posts, etc... I'm pretty bold and outspoken. Personally, I would send the guy a message something to the effect of "hey I'm being understanding and patient, but this is important to me. I know you're not a shady individual, but it feels like I am being taken advantage of. If you sold the parts to someone else already, or something became damaged, etc- please just refund my money so I can use it to obtain the parts elsewhere- if you have the parts all packed up, etc please mail them to me today because it's been more than a month and I've been more than patient/ understanding"

Just mho

~MK

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Sorry Don, but I wouldnt call someone who takes your money and a month/year later still hasnt forwarded you the parts a "good guy".

IMO,You take the money, you send the parts, no excuses, take the time to do the deal right.

Just because someone is a member here, does not mean they are an angel or have the right to take advantage of someones money.

46 bucks is 46 bucks.

Time will tell, but I'd say time is up.

Rick

Ok lets call it a confusion of terms. The guy Joel dealt with is a good guy as a person but a Bad Seller. It has been confirmed by several people who have tried to buy the same items after and even one in person. Just has no supply for the demand.

I wouldn't call a normal person a thief after a few days. But you would have to be a moron not to know that if someone writes a check or paypals you an amount then that amount should stay imaginary to the seller till the day the part is in hand of the buyer.

If I sell something it usually ships within 24 hours. Unless it's the weekend. And I hate selling because buyers seem to want to jerk people around.

One instance I had a guy bug me about a part and then at the last minute said no. Then bugged me again for the part and sent the check. When I got the check they asked for it to be ripped up or returned. Screwed around with me some more just to come back a month later and finally buy the item. Once it was in the box and on its way they bugged me every day for progress even though they had all the shipping info.

This is one reason why I like to deal in person or just buy/sell the item on ebay.

Oh yeah the guy was saying I stole his money too till the day the crap showed up at his door. What a moron. I'm glad he isn't on cc anymore. If he is and reads this I hope he realizes he's a moron.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update:

got in touch with the seller by digging through paypal and finding the email address. just got an email back from them saying they didn't know about the new site and they need my address. so hopefully this will all be cleared up soon. and if so, i'm happy i didn't mention the sellers name. i'll keep y'all informed.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
update:

got in touch with the seller by digging through paypal and finding the email address. just got an email back from them saying they didn't know about the new site and they need my address. so hopefully this will all be cleared up soon. and if so, i'm happy i didn't mention the sellers name. i'll keep y'all informed.

Once again sounds like a sketchy excuse.

Sending the part to your e-mail address? or home?

I would imagine a month ago you provided the shipping address so.......wheres the part?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
update:

Dean, I really hope it works out for you- and soon!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope it works out for you too.

I would request a tracking number too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I ran into someone like this on a bike forum that I used to frequent. He told me LIE on top of Lie on top of Lie for a whole yearabout some parts that I ordered and paid for from him. If not for the fact that it was only a $20 order I would have done more about it. I called him out on the forum as a liar and a thief after a YEAR, but that was with the patience of the Biblical Job. Oddly he did not have a bad reputation and was a good person to deal with for years. But with my problem with him came other complaints from other forum members who said that he was selling them parts by collecting money and never sending the goods. BEWARE! I hope this works out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dean - was this a seasoned forum user, or just some new person who joined with the primary purpose of using the forum for their commercial ventures?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dean - was this a seasoned forum user, or just some new person who joined with the primary purpose of using the forum for their commercial ventures?
it was someone with a couple hundred posts if i remember correctly. i know they had more than me (i've been here for 3-4 years) but i'm not a big poster.

and to address the idea they should have already had my address. i agree. that was one of my first thoughts. but, i didn't think i had their email address. i was thinking that unless they got back on the forum with their old name i wouldn't know how to get in touch with them. then i thought about digging through paypal to get the email address. i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were having the same mental block. time will tell. at this point, i'm still holding out hope. not so much because i need a set of carbs and $46.00 bucks is a decent chunk of change for a campus minister supporting a family of 4... but because i want to believe i caught him at a bad time and he is a good guy.

time will tell.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have learned from a similar incident, to ALWAYS get a tracking number, or at least some kinda verfication that the item was shipped. Because of this most recent fiasco, I shall no longer send money WITHOUT a tracking number. This was also from a member who has been on the forum for quite awhile. It turned out that I ended up eating 10 dollars from a 30 dollar item, but the guy said he sent it, but I didn't get it. I had and still have no reason to doubt him. But, I shall not again play the "send me the cash....I'll send the stuff" game. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
I shall not again play the "send me the cash....I'll send the stuff" game. Lesson learned!
I've have the same bad experience with "Send me the stuff, I'll send you the cash."

Most transactions I've had with forum members have been great. But last year, I sent a headlight part to a forum member "by the cheapest means possible," as requested. (I should have paid the extra .70 for tracking.) Then I emailed him with the total, including shipping, and I didn't hear a peep out of him.

When I finally got a hold of him after weeks of emails and phone messages, he says "Oh, it never showed up. I found one locally." Whether he found it locally on his doorstep in a box from Minnesota, I don't know, but I won't deal with him again.

[/rant]

R

·
Registered
7 Posts

Wait BUT remember.

I was not born in the south but have lived here a number of years and have learned, it is not a good idea to tell a southern there is no big rush.

I just learned yesterday that this site had changed and it can be rather hard to locate info on it at times. I also know some folks do not tend to their email as well as I do.

The throw away email I use for EBay is checked now an again.

What would you rather lose a friend you trust or $46? You know the answer that is why you will wait.

No it is not me, I saw that he wrote he is a "campus minister"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts