Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one remove the headlight from 1981 Silver Wing Fairing? The reflective coating seems to be falling off the internal headlight shell and I like to inspect and replace it. I can get to the one screw that adjusts left to right but there is obviously more to it for removal.

Any ideas on replacing with brighter equipment are welcome too!

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
How does one remove the headlight from 1981 Silver Wing Fairing? The reflective coating seems to be falling off the internal headlight shell and I like to inspect and replace it. I can get to the one screw that adjusts left to right but there is obviously more to it for removal.

Any ideas on replacing with brighter equipment are welcome too!

Thanks, Mike

# 24, 15 and 26. In that order.

It helps if you push the lamp unit mildly against the fairing at the same time as you´re working on the big "nut" (26).

The only brighter equipment I know of are brighter H4 bulbs or possibly HID conversions. From what I´ve gathered sealed-beam lamps seem to be the norm over there and about those I know absolutely nothing.

Sture

·
Registered
95 Posts
After taking off 24 15 26 , the light casing ensemble is usually "wedged" in the fairing cutout pretty well, from years of settling.

Tug out in line with the bolt that held the knob, "jiggling and rotating " the light casing at the same time. It can be tricky.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm off to give it a try,

Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that was easy - the chrome inside the housing is falling off. I cleaned it out and put all back togather - five minute job tops. Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I believe that I may have a similar situation with the reflective coating peeling off. Also in one of my rear turn signals. That would beg the question: What would be the best way to replace that highly reflective coating? I'v not seen any paint (even the "chrome" paint that seems adequately shiny.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Old posts are great. I was stuck on that headlight. In spite of the fact that I had the Shop Manual PDF open, it wasn't clear to me how to get it loose. I was afraid that twisting that knob would break something, and the set screw is dirt and rust filled. Couldn't see that little thing!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
That's funny. I've known Doc for a year or so now and I didn't look at the date stamp on the first few posts. I was thinking to myself "We just did this a few weeks ago Doc...". And THEN I saw the date stamp.

Fib

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,679 Posts
Did they change that between '81 and '83? I just looked at one from an '83 GL650 and it has a stopper on the end of the threaded rod to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yay for this thread! New LED bulbs going in all my bikes. These things are super bright (12000 lumens). Already changed out the standard H4 in the 650 and it is at least 60% brighter. They are just a H4 conversion so it doesn't take any modifications... Other than sorting out the wiring enough to fit it in the tight place. Also a little more expensive. I can't vouge for longevity yet but 3 days in I feel really good with the outcome.

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H4 (9003), Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077B3SNJR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5VHeCbBEPG0RE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.