Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i under stand i have to unplug the wire harness and take off the radiator but whats all involved to drop the engine and how long does it normally take to do and yes i do sound like a noob but hey i am just wondering

·
Registered
583 Posts
ok i under stand i have to unplug the wire harness and take off the radiator but whats all involved to drop the engine and how long does it normally take to do and yes i do sound like a noob but hey i am just wondering
It takes about an hour.

The best way that I found to take the motor out is as follows (assuming seat and tank are off):

Take the exhaust off.

Put the bottom of the engine on a milk crate. It should hold up the bike. You may need to put a board under there as a spacer

Take off the radiator

unplug the rear wiring from the regulator, cdi, etc

pull back the boot of the driveshaft and remove the retaining pin

remove the carb manifolds from the motor. Zip tie the carbs to the frame.

Unbolt the engine. The front hangers should be last.

Lift the bike up and push it back over the engine.

Install in reverse. I've done this several times my myself. It is a pain in the ass, but if you had a second person I imagine it would be pretty easy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The first time takes a little longer, but yeah, what he said. You can also use a floor jack instead of a milk crate.

Definitely remove the hbox. I didn't and it made removal and installation a major pain.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A couple -few hours.

-The exhaust has to come off (I was able to get it as a unit by taking the rear brake petal off),

-electric connections,

-rad can stay on,

-engine hanger bolts,

-I had removed the carbs too but that's prolly not necessary to drop the engine. If you leave the carb on you'd have to disconnect cables and airbox of course.

-Clutch and tach cable's removed.

I dropped mine onto a milk crate. It worked pretty easy.

Enjoy dropping it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks guys i am not thinking about it right this minute but down the road in a few months when i drop the engine i am probably will clean up and repaint the frame also i have dropped engines out of other bikes so i guess its the same to do on our bikes thats basically what i wanted to find out so i am looking at a couple of hours (sweet)

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Are you only planning on painting the frame? If that's it then you could probably get away with just dropping the front of the engine, leaving the radiator on, disconnecting the carbs from the engine and covering everything else that you don't want black paint on with paper and tape.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well don i still would need to take the exhaust off still right because thats all i want to do know is clean and paint the frame the engine is good for now i am just going to power wash it ok next question is can that do any harm to it if i used a power washer on the motor?? i have never done that on a motor before so i was just wondering now...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn double post

·
Registered
583 Posts
damn double post
Just use common sense... I.E don't blast away at gasket areas (especially the rear pulser cover)

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Just use common sense... I.E don't blast away at gasket areas (especially the rear pulser cover)

Like he said. Don't shoot right at the gaskets and take it easy on rubber and wires.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i guess i will be gentle with them dang........all i really need to clean is the clutch cover and the bottom and the shifter area.....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will be thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
810 Posts
motor degreaser aerosol cans from walmart or wherever work really well too. Spray the foam on the area in need (warm engine first), let sit a short time and rinse off with garden hose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts