Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the carbs from my bike for cleaning but I can't figure out how to remove the two throttle cables and the choke cable. I don't want to start pulling things off that don't need to come off either.

The manual just says remove the cables. What should I do to separate these from the carbs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I am trying to remove the carbs from my bike for cleaning but I can't figure out how to remove the two throttle cables and the choke cable. I don't want to start pulling things off that don't need to come off either.

The manual just says remove the cables. What should I do to separate these from the carbs?

Thanks.

The choke cable is held down with a small tab that's held with a small screw.

There are two throttle cables. Both require a 10mm wrench to loosen the nuts. IMO it's a pain to get the ends of the cables out once you've gotten the nuts loosened.

See where this gets you.

·
Registered
546 Posts

Thanks.

On my GL, the choke cable is held in place by a phillips screw. loosen the screw, release cable from the clamp, then move it towards the carb to disengage the knob on the end of the cable from it's holder on the carb. The two throttle cables are held in place by a 10mm nut. Loosen the carb side nut enough again to have the cable free from it's holder, then push it forward enough to free the knob at the end of the cable.

Do yourself a favour and note which cable went where for reassembly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried loosening the throttle cable nuts but have barely any space there to move. Could I remove the engine to frame mounting brackets without putting a engine support block underneath, or will this put too much stress on the other mounting points?

I also removed the choke cable clamp but its still attached to the carb at the back. How do I remove this?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I tried loosening the throttle cable nuts but have barely any space there to move. Could I remove the engine to frame mounting brackets without putting a engine support block underneath, or will this put too much stress on the other mounting points?

I also removed the choke cable clamp but its still attached to the carb at the back. How do I remove this?

Yeep! The nature of the beast! Removing the cable ends is one thing that I do't like! Not fun!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It may help to adjust the cable at the handlebar to give you a little more slack to get the cables off the bracket. The easiest way is to remove the carbs almost completely from the bike and then take the cables off. That center motor mount can be removed and pivoted up without any problems. Even the coils can be pivoted out of the way. Try to remove from the left hand side of the bike, that seems much easier than the right side.

The ends of the cables have a cylindrical knob that fits between two arms. One of the arms has a slot to allow the cable to be inserted and removed. The cable may have to be rotated to about 90 degrees to the arm for the cable to exit the slot. And moving the choke and throttle to the max with your fingers is the easiest way to access a view of the slots.

Good luck, the more times you do this, the easier it becomes. I think Larry said he can completely install a set of carbs in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Do you have the carbs "removed" from the bike? If not do so first, it gets way easier.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Remove the screws from the intake manifolds to the head and loosen all the philip screws that hold the intake boots and the airbox boots to the carbs. You can remove the intake boots and intake aluminum runners (they are one piece) from the front of the carb. Then the carbs will come out of the airbox side easily.

The 10mm screws are a pain to loosen. You can put a wrench on the nut and loose it as much as you can to remove the tension on the cable and then twist the cable to give you a little more room. Once you get it backed off enough you can spin it off the rest of the way with your finger.

Pull the carbs from the left side as viewed when sitting on the bike...

To get the carbs out you will pull the right top cover, piston, and spring to allow the right side carb to pass out of the frame without scratching paint off the frame.

Getting them back in is pretty much the reverse...

Small ignition wrenches are ideal for this work as the space is extremely limited.

You can sacrifice a full sized wrench by cutting it in half in the center of the wrench to give yourself a purpose built version. There's not a lot of torque on these nuts, or shouldn't be.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts