Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I am getting down and dirty swapping out my CX forks for a CBR f2 front end. Here is the issue, how do I revove this piece from the CBR stem?

Without doing this? (This is a spare I am working on first, good thing!)There are more (K)nicks than a basketball court

I've been using some PB Blaster, but I'm still only about 1/8 of the way down of the practice on using a hammer and small pry tool.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I would heat it using an oxy/acetylene or oxy/propane torch,,you want something that will heat it hot enough and quickly enough so there is not enough time for the heat to transfer through to the stem the race is on.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So heat the bearing not the stem, and quick like? Should I put the stem in the freezer first or not really needed?

Also, what tool might be good so as to not nick the metal?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Yes, heat the bearing,,trying not to heat the stem. You should not have to put it in the freezer first. Once you get it hot enough it should come fairly easily. I would put it in a vice in a position that you will be able to stop heating and start tapping it off without repositioning it. If you needed to you could use a large open end wrench or perhaps a crescent wrench to slip around the shaft and hit the wrench once you have it off enough to fit the wrench in.

You could practice on the spare one first to see what works best for you.

edit; If you are not confident about doing this you could take it to a shop somewhere,,they shouldn't charge too much to take it off for you.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you are planning on using the CBR Front end, I would assume you will be using the CX Tapered Roller bearing kit? If so, then why save the race?...just make a cut with a cut-off disc, use a cold-chisel, and smack it a couple of times? I would be concerned that the heat would affect the hardness of the CBR race...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are planning on using the CBR Front end, I would assume you will be using the CX Tapered Roller bearing kit? If so, then why save the race?...just make a cut with a cut-off disc, use a cold-chisel, and smack it a couple of times? I would be concerned that the heat would affect the hardness of the CBR race...
Yeah, I bought the AllBalls kit, so I'm going with new races. I suppose I could just junk that race, but one slip of the cut tool and I'm sunk. Hmmmm. Also, the race is so close to the lower fork holes thingy that I think a vertical cut on the race would be difficult at best. Maybe a diagonal or x cut could work. I'll have to look into this more.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah, I bought the AllBalls kit, so I'm going with new races. I suppose I could just junk that race, but one slip of the cut tool and I'm sunk. Hmmmm. Also, the race is so close to the lower fork holes thingy that I think a vertical cut on the race would be difficult at best. Maybe a diagonal or x cut could work. I'll have to look into this more.

You wouldn't need to cut into the race much, and a diagonal would work...make sure the tree is fixed in a vice and very steady, gentle, two-handed, non-rushed attempt with the thin cut off disc (let the disc do all of the work) about 1/16 to an eighth deep and give her a rap or two with a cold chisel & a heavy hammer...I bet she breaks really easily! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the "cut the race" crowd is growing. I'm back at it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again everyone. Dremel cut off it is I guess. Slow and steady wins the "race".

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds like the "cut the race" crowd is growing. I'm back at it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again everyone. Dremel cut off it is I guess. Slow and steady wins the "race".
just remember to let the wheel do the work. Anytime I have a wheel grab, or jump, its becuase I was forcing it to do more than it wanted to. You will be fine!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
just remember to let the wheel do the work. Anytime I have a wheel grab, or jump, its becuase I was forcing it to do more than it wanted to. You will be fine!

Cutting it should work fine, as Rick says don't force it, if you use a dremel you really can't, they don't have a lot of power.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Success! Only took a little metal off of the triple

Thanks guys, pics of the project soon to follow. Slow going though.
Awesome--glad you were successful!...I was looking up some stuff online about forks a while back, I will try to find it again for you, but there is a guy who completely customized a CX500 for Dirt...there were some awesome mods.

ANNNND...here ya go...this guy did a really awesome job...maybe its someone here? he really shows a lot of detail, intermediate steps...I think you all will enjoy looking through this one--I know I did.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

It was interesting, after his first outing, he quickly realized the need to protect the very exposed Motor!

I remembered there were a lot of detials in mounting the forks--details, and problems that you will likely encounter with yours...

(sorry for all of the edits, but this all came to mind in little bits)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.