Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the stupid question, but I need to fix the lugs on the tank which clip into the seat,...but I don't know how to remove the seat, and I haven't got a manual yet! Thanks a million

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question, but I need to fix the lugs on the tank which clip into the seat,...but I don't know how to remove the seat, and I haven't got a manual yet! Thanks a million
does this picture look right

can you update your signiture/avitar,include your bikes details and where you live

free manual here http://drop.io/CX500_GL500

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oops, one bolt, 8mm, each side high up under plastic panels. Then wangle seat backwards over the grab rail.

You don't need to remove the panel but it helps to find the bolt the first time.

Take great care with the panels, you may find the lugs come off & stay in the grommets attached to the frame.

Don't lose them, they can be stuck back on.

If the lugs are not tight in the grommets, fix this problem or the panels will blow away & boy, are they hard to find when this happens. They will probably blow away at 3-figure speeds anyway, assuming you are brave enough to do this. You might assume they will not come off due to your ankles being in the way but you would be wrong, they do!

And make darned sure you disconnect the tank sender wire before trying to carry the tank away. The wire will snatch the tank out of your hands if you don't disconnect first.

Hey, be very careful with the welding job. Make sure the welder knows what he is about & weld only to the remains of old brackets to avoid heating the tank wall.

Where are you? Me, Berkshire UK. CX500 E-C

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, one bolt, 8mm, each side high up under plastic panels. Then wangle seat backwards over the grab rail.

You don't need to remove the panel but it helps to find the bolt the first time.

Take great care with the panels, you may find the lugs come off & stay in the grommets attached to the frame.

Don't lose them, they can be stuck back on.

If the lugs are not tight in the grommets, fix this problem or the panels will blow away & boy, are they hard to find when this happens. They will probably blow away at 3-figure speeds anyway, assuming you are brave enough to do this. You might assume they will not come off due to your ankles being in the way but you would be wrong, they do!

And make darned sure you disconnect the tank sender wire before trying to carry the tank away. The wire will snatch the tank out of your hands if you don't disconnect first.

Hey, be very careful with the welding job. Make sure the welder knows what he is about & weld only to the remains of old brackets to avoid heating the tank wall.

Where are you? Me, Berkshire UK. CX500 E-C

Thanks, I've saved some more detail changes to my profile, so I hope they "stick"! I'm based in Mullingar, Ireland, just got this bike back from Nottingham recently. Still a bit green on teh CX I'm afraid, but hoping to catch up soon. Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does this picture look right

can you update your signiture/avitar,include your bikes details and where you live

free manual here http://drop.io/CX500_GL500

Yes, that seat looks about right (see my avatar for better picture). Now....how do the side panels come off without breaking them?? And cheers Bandit for the free manual download - I'v been looking for such a link but couldn't find one before!!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I pull out the bottom post first, then the front, then the rear. I try to apply some of the force behind (inside) the side panel as near the post as possible. Breakage is most likely when pulling at an angle and from a panel edge too far from the post. Pull slowly, and stop if there feels like it's not releasing. Hard to define that last quantity. Assuming they come off hard, a little silicone or other lube on the grommets will facilitate future removals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slowly but surely I'm getting there! Thanks. Got the panels off easily (it's really easy when you've done it once!) and now I see the bolts. I will tackle the subsequent tank removal and repair the lugs (and touch up the paint) when there is no more biking for the winter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hi There, and welcome from another newb to a great group... I'm still figuring out the interweb, this forum and my 3mo old CX. From the looks of it, I cannot possibly figure it all out by myself and I will always be learning. At my age b.1957, I'm just starting to learn that I don't have to learn the "hard way"... but er anyhowse...

I believe I recall some threads regarding modification of the seat mounts to something a bit easier to deal with... they can probably be found in the archives via the Quick Reference thread

Edit: upon closer inspection, the archives can be accessed from the page tabs under the forum title... Me = Duh o!

One little caveat re covers and bodywork pieces: This may not apply to your bike if it's the one in your avatar but on my 82cx They can be easy to lose if the rubber grommets are deteriorated... Irony is, when you shed a cover, there is a 99.9% chance that the person behind you talking on the phone will run over it
at least here in nola...

I'm thinking of sinking some threaded studs (nylon bolts) into the airbox where the front cover teat sticks up and using a nut to hold them more securely.

I gotta blow steam... I'm in a bad mood with my internet provider and it's crap for servers...

I'm not an exceptional ass...
oops maybe that's not a good way to put it, but let's just say I have a below average amount of butt
and I don't think mister Honda ever tried to remove the saddle on any of his designs,
I kinda wonder if he ever sat on them as well. From the early scrambler seats with 25lbs of springs to the newest CBR...
I've never met a stock honda saddle I liked.
rant over!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts