Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum, but have already learned a lot. I just purchased a 1979 CX500 C with 60,000 miles. Have read the horror stories about the cam tensioner. My motor sounds good, but is there any way to know if the tensioner has been replaced with the correct retrofit? No punch marks on the motor - but I live in Costa Rica and maybe they didn't know that they should do that.

Is there any way to see the tensioner with the motor in the bike? I haven't adjusted it yet - any advice on this?

Any help would be great!

Harbri

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
From a member here, CXSture

The recall was for 1978 standard models only, up to engine number CX500(E) 2034366. (E) stands for engine - the rest of the characters should be very similar (or identical) with the frame number

You can look in the inspection cover on the rear case with a dental mirror to check the adjuster bolt travel in the slot of the tensioner, but this is more to see what the condition of the cam chain is.. No real way to see the tensioner itself with engine intact......at least that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Well, at 60K miles, you are probably getting close on the cam chain. It would be a good idea to check it out. If your engine is not making any harsh noise like a clattering, it could be okay. But I'd be one to make the proper checks and adjustments just to be sure.

For us to help you better, edit your profile by adding your location and put your bike model and year in the signature line. Also give us some more history on the bike if you can.

There are lots of helpful tips in the General Discussion section in the Quick Reference thread. Including a dowloadable factory service manual.....a must for this type of care.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at 60K miles, you are probably getting close on the cam chain. It would be a good idea to check it out. If your engine is not making any harsh noise like a clattering, it could be okay. But I'd be one to make the proper checks and adjustments just to be sure.

For us to help you better, edit your profile by adding your location and put your bike model and year in the signature line. Also give us some more history on the bike if you can.

There are lots of helpful tips in the General Discussion section in the Quick Reference thread. Including a dowloadable factory service manual.....a must for this type of care.
It is a 500C 1979 model

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The recall for cam chain guide modification only affected the 1978 model. Is the fork stem decal still there with the year on it to verify, or are you going by registration paperwork to determine year?

I just noticed you listed it as a "C", for Custom? The recall did not apply.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
But to answer your question - it's always almost a MUST to adjust the cam chain and valves on a bike as soon as you can after you get it then at regular intervals specified in the service manual thereafter.

Also, as you get into the higher mileage area it pays to check these adjustments a bit more often.

As to chain and associated parts life that highly depends on how hard it's been ridden before you got it as well as how often the previous owner changed the oil and what kind he used.

Some people (who obviously neglected their bikes) have caused cam chain problems as early as 25,000 miles, then there are people driving around with more than 120,000 miles on the original components.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But to answer your question - it's always almost a MUST to adjust the cam chain and valves on a bike as soon as you can after you get it then at regular intervals specified in the service manual thereafter.

Also, as you get into the higher mileage area it pays to check these adjustments a bit more often.

As to chain and associated parts life that highly depends on how hard it's been ridden before you got it as well as how often the previous owner changed the oil and what kind he used.
I adjusted the valves ,they were a bit wide,whats the best way to ajust cam chain?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The recall for cam chain guide modification only affected the 1978 model. Is the fork stem decal still there with the year on it to verify, or are you going by registration paperwork to determine year?

I just noticed you listed it as a "C", for Custom? The recall did not apply.
It has 1979 on the main steering base.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I adjusted the valves ,they were a bit wide,whats the best way to ajust cam chain?

It's explained in the service manual (downloadable) or there must be a dozen writeups in the forums which are usually better.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well if you do decide to remove engine and put in new cam chain, i have been working on mine look for the engine removal in technical help section and many others on here has also did our cam chains, look on the left side of your engine were the serial number is you should see 3 dots on it before or after the # that should determine if those parts were corrected from the recall or not someone correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
, look on the left side of your engine were the serial number is you should see 3 dots on it before or after the # that should determine if those parts were corrected from the recall or not someone correct me if i am wrong.
perhaps those rules dont apply in Costa Rica

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Well if you do decide to remove engine and put in new cam chain, i have been working on mine look for the engine removal in technical help section and many others on here has also did our cam chains, look on the left side of your engine were the serial number is you should see 3 dots on it before or after the # that should determine if those parts were corrected from the recall or not someone correct me if i am wrong.

You're wrong, and you've been corrected.
Read the previous posts, his bike was exempt from the recall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.