Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gl500i with 41,000 miles on the it. I put new tires, brakes. Cleaned all the connection, changed oil

well I have done all the usual thing to the bike that I can think of. Rides nice, smooth. But it is still

a 1982. Can I trust it for a road trip? I know this is a load question! Getting 50 mpg depending on the wind.

Hope to make it to the ride in Holland, Mi. on June 11th. But that is not far. How many people are on this fourm? I read about problem with these bike, but are these mainly project bike or bike you ride for fun?

Ev

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a gl500i with 41,000 miles on the it. I put new tires, brakes. Cleaned all the connection, changed oil

well I have done all the usual thing to the bike that I can think of. Rides nice, smooth. But it is still

a 1982. Can I trust it for a road trip? I know this is a load question! Getting 50 mpg depending on the wind.

Hope to make it to the ride in Holland, Mi. on June 11th. But that is not far. How many people are on this fourm? I read about problem with these bike, but are these mainly project bike or bike you ride for fun?

Ev

Consider this, with about 2,500 members here, every area of maintenance and modifications has either been done or

discussed thoroughly at some time or another. Reliability and ease of service is probably the number one trait of these

motorcycles. Many rides here are customized in some way but many more are stock. Trust it for a road trip? Sure if its

been maintained properly, you say it only has 41,000 miles on it, thats is not alot for these bikes. You read about a

problem with these bikes? What problem were you referring to? Show me any bike without problems of some kind.

Good luck and enjoy the rides.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think once you put some miles on it around town for a couple months you should work the bugs out and it will become very reliable. The biggest problems I have had with mine have all involved rubber. 30 year old rubber is getting cracked and falling apart. Examples are acv diaphragms, lining to Speedo cable, master cyl cups, brake caliper o-rings stupid vacuum petcock, rubber intake boots. You get the idea. Anything with rubber is the stuff to watch. In my opinion the only thing that I really don't care for on my wing is my CV carbs. Do your self a favor and as soon as you start to have trouble buy an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight and clean them good and put a fuel filter on and you will be all set. I cleaned mine with air blowing and dip a few times and it still had spats and started rough and ran on one cyl. Once I ultrasonically cleaned them and synced them they were great. It runs like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You will always get a false representation of problems if you read forums.People rarely post,"My bike is running great and has no problems"

PS

My bikes run great and have no problems

Don't forget to renew the coolant.Even it gets tired,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Coolant.htm

As per another recent post."Journey of a thousands miles begins with a Visa card and a Cell phone"

PPS

Some of my automotive breakdowns have been my best trips.The kindness of strangers never ceases to amaze me.I reciprocate

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
+1 on the above. The best part of these machines IS the reliability, longevity, and yes, the little things to tinker on. Many of these bikes were used by couriers in Europe for decades, and some of those bikes are still in service, either as stated or by new owners who have got them back in shape.

If you are handy with a wrench, you will have no problem maintaining the bike, nor need to worry much about taking trips. There have been folks who have ridden these things around the world. Was a posted story some time back, I'd have to dig it up, but its fun to read. Then of course there is our Jeremy, who was going to go from Vancouver Can. to Argentina, but due to other issues, turned around in Panama. That's testament to them being bullet proof.

Any issues you may end up having, bring here. The gang here (2578 as of today) will get you the help you need.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think this is the link you were thinking of.

Nice bike Joel
I like the new picture you have there !!

Even if we're not the mechanic at least we know one

--Keith

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Horton if you come to Gilmore the day after Holland I should be there with my 67,000 mile bike.

The reason these bikes are so reliable or feel like junk at times is directly related to how they were treated prior in life. I got mine with a rough 40,000 miles on it and it had sat for 12 years in a van and 6 years under and apple tree on the corner of a field. There was a lot of rust and mess involved an the pistons were rusted to the cylinder wall. Within 4 days it was running. I fought it for 3 years as a low mileage around town bike and now it seldom has a problem.

If you want a good bike you can trust take care of it. I've had my bike for 8 years this June and after yesterday I have had everything apart on it besides the transmission and removing the pistons.

Nothing on it actually died before it should have. Last spring I did a double bypass which should have been a triple and most of the seals were holding together some how but shot, cam chain needed replacing and even a broken guide. Yesterday it got a new stator and head gasket that had a little oil leak at long idles in traffic so I said what the hell and spent $25 more and got two head gaskets. It was well worth it and after seeing into the engine I have no doubt that aside from getting hit and crushed by another vehicle I should get this sucker over 100,000 if I have the time for the miles. Maybe 3 more years at average pace depending on rain and snow.

I say ride the hell out of it. Maybe I'll even see you in Holland since I will be in Grand Rapids that weekend.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I think this is the link you were thinking of.

Nice bike Joel
I like the new picture you have there !!

Even if we're not the mechanic at least we know one

--Keith

Yes Keith, that was it, a great story. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I trust mine to get me back and forth to work every day; granted, it's not a long trip, but it is an important one!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Just thought I'd mention.As both my CX are made from some very old and high mileage parts as well as some decent parts they do use a bit of oil if run above 60 Mph constantly so I would take a bit of oil for top ups if required.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think once you put some miles on it around town for a couple months you should work the bugs out and it will become very reliable. The biggest problems I have had with mine have all involved rubber. 30 year old rubber is getting cracked and falling apart. Examples are acv diaphragms, lining to Speedo cable, master cyl cups, brake caliper o-rings stupid vacuum petcock, rubber intake boots. You get the idea. Anything with rubber is the stuff to watch. In my opinion the only thing that I really don't care for on my wing is my CV carbs. Do your self a favor and as soon as you start to have trouble buy an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight and clean them good and put a fuel filter on and you will be all set. I cleaned mine with air blowing and dip a few times and it still had spats and started rough and ran on one cyl. Once I ultrasonically cleaned them and synced them they were great. It runs like a sewing machine.

I was wondering about the Master Cyl cup. I have been order item that maybe needed. My next years project in rebuilding the Pro link, and maybe the stearing head bearings. Looking at roller bearings. I hate to do anything right now it is running so good. Took a 150 ride today, never missed a beat.

Ev.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts