Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My CX650 Eurosport has a broken tab at the fuel tank and now, I can't secure the front part of the seat properly.

Is there any way to secure or do I have to have it welded?

I was wondering how you guys are dealing with it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This happens when you try and lift the bike by the seat,always use the grab handle.Welding would be one fix but a hassle-I used epoxy glue with some carbon fibre on mine and that was 4 years ago with no sign of failing.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,014 Posts
If you still have the broken tab, I'd suggest brazing over welding. Or if welded add a mend plate over the joint.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi!
My CX650 Eurosport has a broken tab at the fuel tank and now, I can't secure the front part of the seat properly. Is there any way to secure or do I have to have it welded?

I was wondering how you guys are dealing with it.

Thank you.
I had have a similar problem. My GL500i trike has a GL1000 aftermarket seat. It hooks into the OEM bracket in the back just fine, but somewhat like you I had not found a way to "mechanically" secure it in the front. So instead, I always put on a 254 pound weight on it just before each time I want ride. The seat stays put and the whole thing works quite well (not to mention being cheap)! :rolleyes:

As added measure, if I can talk my wife into coming along with me, there's another 100+ pounds to secure it even further.:D

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,752 Posts
Bob: He's not talking about keeping the seat from coming off of the bike. The Eurosport models are lay-down-on-the-tank style and you need to almost sit on the tank to reach the bars so the front of the seat extends up the sides of the tank. If the tabs that hold the extensions of the seat close to the tank break off (as they often do) the space between the extensions and the tank can become quite wide.

Jamesh: I wonder if you could use Velcro to keep the seat extensions close to the tank?

BTW: http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/31323-forum-settings-everyone-should-make.html

·
Registered
775 Posts
Bob: He's not talking about keeping the seat from coming off of the bike. The Eurosport models are lay-down-on-the-tank style and you need to almost sit on the tank to reach the bars so the front of the seat extends up the sides of the tank. If the tabs that hold the extensions of the seat close to the tank break off (as they often do) the space between the extensions and the tank can become quite wide.

<snip>.... (keeping up with the joke department follows)

I don't think they'd be all that wide with my 254 pounds in place however! :p;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
Actually mine was the rust. water was getting into between the rubber.
Epoxy... JB weld or something?
I was also thinking about using stick on weight for wheel balance.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This is the little metal strip that is welded to the side of the gas tank , and the seat ears locate on?

One of mine is broken on my 650 ED. When I get round to fixing it I will fill the gas tank with water and then have it welded back on . Dont attempt to reweld the tang without filling the gas tank with an inert gas or water first unless you want a bit of excitement when the tank explodes.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts