Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I;m removing the fan, and took my front axle as I've done before, screwed it in, and rather than pulling the fan off, the inside exploded. I have a road trip TOMORROW and have to finish getting stuff done. If you know how to remove the fan WITHOUT the bolt trick, please let me know, if you could call me, as it's an emergency, at 269 four92four475 I just spell it out because I know if you put your email here, you'll get spam. Thanks for the help, ya'll are great!!! Even greater if you help me get this project finished lol

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
In this thread Shep talks about using wooden wedges.

edit; If you try this be careful not to drive the wedges unevenly,,too much on one side might break the end off of the cam.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
In this thread Shep talks about using wooden wedges.

Yep.Had a real stuck one and made a couple of wooden chisels and hammered them one at each side to force the fan off and it didn't damage the Tacho casing but lathered it with WD40 as well

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just had to do this my threads were stripped out on my fan go to your local auto parts store get a pickle fork tool it used to split ball joints slide it in between the fan and the front motor housing one smack with a hammer or a couple of small ones will come off with ease as i said I just did this yesterday to get ready for my ducati fan..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a slide hammer? That came to mind when MR78 mentioned his method... Think I'm going to see if I can find one to use...

·
Registered
388 Posts
thats basicly what a pickle fork is about a foot and half long with two metal wedges at the end you can get it for ten dollars there cheap and works great will come off in seconds plus its another tool to add to the box.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yep.Had a real stuck one and made a couple of wooden chisels and hammered them one at each side to force the fan off and it didn't damage the Tacho casing but lathered it with WD40 as well
Others have said that the axle is not the best tool for removing the fan because it does not engage enough threads in the fan hub. The end of the axle is tapered whereas the end of a bolt is flat more or less and the bolt reaches and engages more threads in the fan hub. But we do what we have to with what we have to work with. You should see some of the things I call tools.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Others have said that the axle is not the best tool for removing the fan because it does not engage enough threads in the fan hub. The end of the axle is tapered...
Something like this,,

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the plastic fan off with a 3 prong puller or something, it's basically a bolt with 3 prongs, like a slide hammer, but with a bolt instead, but the metal insides of the fan is still there lol, but I think the slide hammer should work pretty well on it, but I've been going for about 7 hrs total, off and on, and the mosquito's just came out, so I'm taking a few minutes to sit inside and relax... The fan is shot, but I have another one at home, so no biggie

·
Registered
595 Posts
You should consider an e-fan, they're only as hard to get off as you make them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I might, wanna see if the 650 radiator will work, but I can't afford anything at all other than that, because I'm a broke SOB...

Well if you do decide to do it in the future, it's deceptively cheap. Maybe not in your budget now, but just for consideration...Fan is around 20 bucks depending on what kind of deal you can find. The thermo switch is like 3 bucks. Buying ziptie type mounts from AutoZone is about 5 bucks, inline fuse holder another 5, so you're looking at roughly 35-40 bucks, depending on what you might already have. If money's tight, no that's not cheap, but it's a lot less than...well, pretty much any other big things done for these bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.