Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can figure out why, but whenever I reach down and switch to reserve while the bike is running I get a little shock from the petcock. I can't think of any wiring near the petcock that could be shorting out. The closest thing that I can think of would be the coils up near the front of the tank. I checked the ground for those and it seems nice and tight. The tank itself doesn't appear to be doing it, only the petcock and only while the bike is running.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Can figure out why, but whenever I reach down and switch to reserve while the bike is running I get a little shock from the petcock. I can't think of any wiring near the petcock that could be shorting out. The closest thing that I can think of would be the coils up near the front of the tank. I checked the ground for those and it seems nice and tight. The tank itself doesn't appear to be doing it, only the petcock and only while the bike is running.

Any ideas ?
mmm,never seen that posted before.i get a kick on the door of my berlingo.i think its static.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
About the only thing on these would be the high tension, sparkplug wire that could give you a shock. Maybe static electricity, if you were wearing the right pants and slid around on the seat. You might try running it in the dark and see if you can see any arcing from the wires, caps, or high tension posts of the coils. At least with a GL you can easily replace the plug wires. I would also clean any dirt or crud from the coils an check your plug caps for arcing too.

If it only does it once when you first touch the petcock, then it could be static. If it does it every time you touch the petcock, then it is probably a stray high voltage floating around from the wires or coils.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Hot pet cocks can be very dangerous, fatal sometimes:

Killed by hot pet-cock.

Sometimes the little guy wins one.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

Any ideas ?

Ground yourself to the handlebar before touching your pet cock.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Have you checked with a multi meter to see if the petcock is actually holding voltage?

You do not feel a shock unless there is a lot of voltagedischarge or a decent amount of current moving suddenly.

With ESD there is a large voltage and next to no current.

I would want to let it sit and idle for a few minutes then get my meter to see if it is holding a charge.

If it is not I would say ESD.

If it is holding a charge I would say it depends on the voltage maintained.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Posted twice sorry...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
You might think me crazy for saying this but I know of what I speak.Have you had any stressful events recently in your life?
come on then Shep,spill the beans.you obviously are aware of something relevent

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Make sure there's -0- ohms to the tank and the frame.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
come on then Shep,spill the beans.you obviously are aware of something relevent

Stress,worry and especially from grief can cause heightened Static shocks from the body.I would not have known this had not my GP/Doctor pointed it out when he got a shock off his filing cabinet and I mentioned I'd been getting a lot of them recently and he said it's quite common if you have stress and in my case deep grief as it was then not long after the loss of my Mother some years ago.I was getting them off my car when closing the doors and they were quite violent.

They passed with time.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Stress,worry and especially from grief can cause heightened Static shocks from the body.I would not have known this had not my GP/Doctor pointed it out when he got a shock off his filing cabinet and I mentioned I'd been getting a lot of them recently and he said it's quite common if you have stress and in my case deep grief as it was then not long after the loss of my Mother some years ago.I was getting them off my car when closing the doors and they were quite violent.

They passed with time.
mmm,i kinda knew what you meant.i think most of us have,or has had a fair bit of stress

i can relate

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I had no idea I would get such an array of responses. It's definitely not rooster related and it felt pretty strong to be static electricity. I haven't been able to duplicate it since then so I don't think I'll worry about it too much. Thanks for the reply's.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
John, you'd be pretty surprised the amount of voltage that ESD can lay on you. If there is a high difference potential between the two surfaces, you can get a shock well in excess of 40 to 50 thousand volts. Granted there isn't much amperage, but tell that to your nervous system when it zaps you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.