·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The thread title is "hankering for a comment"...but I'll refrain....:sneaky:

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
I don't think there has been a lot of exploration into modified cams. The cam material may have been a week Link in the CX engine. There were some reports of Kim where and pitting, so I often wondered whether a modified cam would hold up unless it was ground from new material.

There are a few differences between cams of different for instance, the CX500 Euro cam is the same as a cx650 turbo cam as far as low separation and other features. I believe it is identical.

It would be interesting to see if any games could be had by a modified cam profile..

Let's remember that the engine already puts out about 1.6 hp/ci.

That is the equivalent of a 300 cubic inch engine kicking out 480 horsepower. Is still room for more? Likely, yes, but it's sometimes done through lighter internal components and porting work

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Perhaps the salt flat racer has ventured into can modification. I'd be interested in knowing any developments.

·
Registered
1980 CX500C, 79 Chopped Shovelhead, Mixed years Zuki Rockcrawler Chopped 32 Ford 3 window coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think there has been a lot of exploration into modified cams. The cam material may have been a week Link in the CX engine. There were some reports of Kim where and pitting, so I often wondered whether a modified cam would hold up unless it was ground from new material.

There are a few differences between cams of different for instance, the CX500 Euro cam is the same as a cx650 turbo cam as far as low separation and other features. I believe it is identical.

It would be interesting to see if any games could be had by a modified cam profile..

Let's remember that the engine already puts out about 1.6 hp/ci.

That is the equivalent of a 300 cubic inch engine kicking out 480 horsepower. Is still room for more? Likely, yes, but it's sometimes done through lighter internal components and porting work
Everyone should follow link. https://deltacam.com They have nice site, They explain every thing about regrinding and all the steps it goes through. IIf you have other questions, just call them and real person answers. and one of the cam guys will go over your project with you. No kidding! I have 3 of their cams and know others that use them also. These guys are legit.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Well the original post was has anyone played with their CX cams. I was responding to that inquiry not the topic of where to get reground cans.

Maybe Murray will comment on improvements to be made over stock cam profiles.

It is a good company to keep in mind.

I didn't mean that cam failures are that numerous, but that when people disassemble engines especially those that have run at high RPM it seems that there is some pitting reported of some of the cans.

Sounds like a research project that you would be interested in and maybe others. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
megacyc;e and web cams have made and reworked cams for these bikes for many of us
i used to have a guy in vacouver that redid and could custom profile them but he has retired
the cx500 even 40 years later is a pretty dialed in machine and considering it has a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio
and will tolerate todays gas and todays temperatures without a computer controlled ignition and fuel system
it would take some fancy engineering and development to safely exceed the range these cam profiles provide
btw for those of you that have not had cams done they are in the 600 dollar range for a rebuild plus the cam followers
I have some blanks made for cams last year so I could have some new profiles ground and the blanks cost me 300 each to cnc

·
Registered
1980 CX500C, 79 Chopped Shovelhead, Mixed years Zuki Rockcrawler Chopped 32 Ford 3 window coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now we know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts