Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was removing the hose clamps - probably the original ones - two of them failed due to age and corrosion. While I like to keep things as original as possible, I really do not want to use those original persnickety clamps.

Apart from the standard North American hose clamp (which you see on the left side in the pic below) there was a new clamp that caught my eye - the one on the right side. Clean looking, and, well....super clean looking. I can not remember the manufacturer, but the cost was about $4 per clamp...which I know is expensive. If you know of any other decent looking, hard working hose clamps out there, maybe ones that you have experience with, please let me know.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The one on the right looks cool, havent seen one of those before. I had the top clamp on mine bust and went with the standard cheepy like you have on the left. Not the nicest looking thing, but works well, plus its mostly hidden when the rad shroud is on

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Ahhh ok They do look good, the only problem I see with them from their specs is they have a min/max diameter range that is fairly small. While they would work great, you would have to get the exact size for the hose your using, as unlike the cheepy clamps that have a large range (example 3" down to 1"), these ones dont adjust but rather have an open and a closed diameter (like a lock ring, its either open or shut).

I myself would sure use them on my bike if I had the right size, but that may mean buying a whole range of sizes .... still I do like them

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think the original hose clamps on the CX's were similar to this one.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Allan and FADM....I do remember reading the chart outlining the min-max sizing, so accuracy in choosing which size is paramount should I go with these new High Pressure clamps. FYI, I saw these clamps at Bolt Plus, the same place I bought the gear puller bolt for the flywheel and rotor. They do have a few retail outlets in Ontario, so maybe one is near you. You could drop in and see them first hand. Why I like the clamp is because of the internal workings. These do not look like they can clog up with road junk or corrode as easily as the originals.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I hate those original clamps that came on the bike....when I took it all apart I replaced them with the "American" kind (whatever you call them)...much EASIER to deal with.

Whenever I have to take one off on a car/truck etc (like the radiator hose on my Suburban etc) I ALWAYS replace those stupid, hard to deal with ones with the normal screw/adjusting ones.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yep we call em Jubilee clips here

dunno why

This is what I have been using on my bottom hose

for the last 3 years

Guess where its from ?

Reg,

I noticed some non-factory looking cage around your radiator? Is that just for some extra protection? Do you have any more pics? I was thinking about doing something similar to protect my radiator as well.

As far as clamps go, I have to agree that the worm type clamps work great...they are not all made equally though. I know you can pay upwards of 3 to 4 dollars for some of them but they are well made, and wont 'slip' when you tighten them up.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Rick

Its just alloy mesh from local DIY store sprayed black(ish)

I binned the original nasty plastic guard and wasnt interested in the

shiny ones on later bikes.

I like the better access to the rad cap and front crank plug

and decided I needed to have something to protect the rad core

from stones so made this up.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Back on topic.

I agree those original ones are bloody awful things !

I reckon any decent quality worm/jubilee clips will do

as you dont need to go mad when tightening them up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Reg

Are those antique bath tap tops stuck in the side of the radiator ?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reg

Are those antique bath tap tops stuck in the side of the radiator ?

I think it's got something to do with the laundry machine hose spring clip....while riding, if Reg feels like doing his "whites", he just opens up the hot water tap a bit more!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think it's got something to do with the laundry machine hose spring clip....while riding, if Reg feels like doing his "whites", he just opens up the hot water tap a bit more!

Yep, Reg can never tell when he is going to soil his whites while riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.