Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..... I decided I don't like the stock horn, but I can't find anywhere that sells horns that let you hear what they sound like (something more...masculine..heh).

Any suggestions?

btw, like the new server! I wish I didn't have to re-register all over again, though.....

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
It's not the horn that's the problem. You want a horn that is hooked up with a relay from the battery that is activated by the horn button. Then it can focus all the batteries power on the horn instead of the wiring, then switch, then wiring, horn and back to ground.

But there was one specific type that people were recommending.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So..... I decided I don't like the stock horn, but I can't find anywhere that sells horns that let you hear what they sound like (something more...masculine..heh).

Any suggestions?

btw, like the new server! I wish I didn't have to re-register all over again, though.....

Stebel air horn, blows the rest away.

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts

Any suggestions?

I just intalled new horns today. I got them as a kit (including high/low tone horns and a relay) from harbor freight for about $8 (you will need a fuse holder and a 10 Amp fuse as well). After hooking everything up, I hit the switch and all i heard was a clicking noise coming from the relay. After wasting an hour or two double checking all the connections, I decided to get a new relay from radioshack (about $7). Now, it works excellent if I connect only one of the horns. If I wire both of them, 10 amp fuse blows immediately (manufacturer recommends 10 amp fuse
). Anyways , even the high tone horn alone is a great upgrade compared to OEM. I'll try to find out if 20 Amp fuse would be safe enough. So that I can wire both high and low tone.

Long story short, I think 8 bucks is a great price for 2 horns but you should get a quality relay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have done similar to Bullet on my VFR and will do it soon on my Custom. 2 Horns very cheap, low and high tone. I have them both working on a relay with 10amp fuse - no problems so far. Great sound.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooo.... can I get a replacement to the stock that "plugs" into the old wiring?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sooo.... can I get a replacement to the stock that "plugs" into the old wiring?

You can but it'll probably sound like the old horn. That's why folks are urging adding a relay. You use your present horn button to fire the coil on the relay. When the coil fires, it pulls down some hefty contacts that can handle much more current than your switch could handle by itself. Those hefty contacts are connected to hefty wire so you can pull hefty current without frying either the wiring or the current switch.

With a relay, you can hook up a manly air horn. Air horn on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You can but it'll probably sound like the old horn. That's why folks are urging adding a relay. You use your present horn button to fire the coil on the relay. When the coil fires, it pulls down some hefty contacts that can handle much more current than your switch could handle by itself. Those hefty contacts are connected to hefty wire so you can pull hefty current without frying either the wiring or the current switch.

With a relay, you can hook up a manly air horn. Air horn on a motorcycle.

Yup thats the sound of a stebel air horn, uses a 30 amp relay, and gives you instant awareness.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put a $20 AooGaah horn on mine. Looks great and it really gets attention.

I painted the red plastic part gold, turned an endcap out of aluminum and powder coated it and the motor body.

I also put a fabric wire wrap on it since this picture.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just intalled new horns today. I got them as a kit (including high/low tone horns and a relay) from harbor freight for about $8 (you will need a fuse holder and a 10 Amp fuse as well). After hooking everything up, I hit the switch and all i heard was a clicking noise coming from the relay. After wasting an hour or two double checking all the connections, I decided to get a new relay from radioshack (about $7). Now, it works excellent if I connect only one of the horns. If I wire both of them, 10 amp fuse blows immediately (manufacturer recommends 10 amp fuse
). Anyways , even the high tone horn alone is a great upgrade compared to OEM. I'll try to find out if 20 Amp fuse would be safe enough. So that I can wire both high and low tone.

Long story short, I think 8 bucks is a great price for 2 horns but you should get a quality relay.

I got these horns too, they work pretty well - have to admit I had the same problem with the relay, but it seems to work now. I should probably replace mine too I guess

Mike

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'd love a klaxon !!!!

I found one for sale but it was a bit weedy.

I found the sound file I want and may have to build a device to

play it

[media]http://reggiecx.uphero.com/web_media/Submarine-Klaxon.mp3[/media]

Edit

Whoo hoo! found one locally for £14.99

that sounds like the above !

have ordered it

·
Registered
41 Posts
One thing you might want to be aware of - the stock setup has the horn button completing the ground. So, it's 12v hot to the horns (which are isolated from their mounts), and ground (12v com) through the horn button.

I replaced my twin, worn out, horns with a single horn removed from a Mazda. Being unaware that the button switches ground, the Mazda horn started blowing the instant it got plugged in. I devised a mount that isolated the horn from the frame and all was good.

A single horn from a late model Japanese car works well without having to add a relay, and is a vast improvement over the stock units.

·
Registered
381 Posts
One thing you might want to be aware of - the stock setup has the horn button completing the ground. So, it's 12v hot to the horns (which are isolated from their mounts), and ground (12v com) through the horn button.

I replaced my twin, worn out, horns with a single horn removed from a Mazda. Being unaware that the button switches ground, the Mazda horn started blowing the instant it got plugged in. I devised a mount that isolated the horn from the frame and all was good.

A single horn from a late model Japanese car works well without having to add a relay, and is a vast improvement over the stock units.

That bike looks familiar. Would you be Paul of Richfield?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hay Jay!

Yup, that's me.

How are things in Topsail?

Very nice indeed. I just got through installing a water feature in the (circular) driveway and got the place looking very Zen.

Went for a ride this morning on the bike; tomorrow I think I'll go work on my skin cancer and brave the sharks and rip currents. It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts