Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I modded my windshield to mount out in front of my fairing, then I made it adjustable for height by drilling a couple sets of mounting holes. Now last night I tweaked it a bit by connecting the holes and making slots so I can change height on the fly. Works good!

Mounting the windshield out in front of the fairing not only makes it adjustable for height but also allows a more laminar flow of air over the shield resulting in a quieter and smoother pocket of air behind the shield. A marked improvement over the stock set up. When it gets hot I just push the shield down and receive a full flow of air to my helmet, allowing me to make use of the helmet vents. If it starts raining or gets cold I just pull the shield up to get the full protection the Hondaline fairing provides so well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I read your other topic when you started drilling the holes for adjustment, and knew it was a good idea.

question - with the nuts holding on the outer of the shield - how easy is it for someone to borrow your screen? and do they vibrate loose at all ??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read your other topic when you started drilling the holes for adjustment, and knew it was a good idea.

question - with the nuts holding on the outer of the shield - how easy is it for someone to borrow your screen? and do they vibrate loose at all ??

If someone has a wrench that will fit then of course they would have no trouble borrowing it unless I happened to see them try in which case they would need an ambulance.

I used red locktight and the nuts have not vibrated loose in over 6,000 miles. I do carry spares just in case though. Now that I don't have to take the nuts off to adjust the shield I may come up with a more secure mounting system, like carriage bolts double nutted on the backside etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, I so like this. Not sure I have the talent, but it would so help my riding ability, especially when I am away from home.

·
Registered
860 Posts
... "laminar flow of air over the shield resulting in a quieter and smoother pocket of air"... That's interesting Mr.S. What does the gap between the shield and fairing measure?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... "laminar flow of air over the shield resulting in a quieter and smoother pocket of air"... That's interesting Mr.S. What does the gap between the shield and fairing measure?

The gap is at 3/4" right now. I experimented with a larger 1 1/4" gap but was not impressed, and the hardware solution was inelegant. The 3/4" is a natural with this setup. The metal washer plus the windshield "nut" plus a nylon washer is 3/4". The mirror mount is also about 3/4', so it all just kind of comes together.

Every time I get out on the highway and open it up I am impressed by how quiet and smooth it is compared to the stock configuration. Today was windy and very gusty and the bike really did not get pushed around at all. Also it was rock steady taking the big hidden sweeper out on the bypass at 90 mph .

Most of the modern touring rigs from BMW, Moto Guzzi, Honda etc use an air gap and have adjustable screens. I figure there must be a good reason. The NT700V has a manually adjustable screen with an air gap. I like it when someone else does the heavy lifting in the design department and all I have to do is adapt my rig to the concept. Especially when total cost for this setup was about $10 worth of hardware and a couple of broken windscreens!

BTW, I have made further mods on my windscreen see here for latest updates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts